time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Booyah!! Once I re-read your clue about brewing around Halloween, I had a feeling it was this.

It wasn't until everyone stating guessing pumpkin that I realized that my hint was unintentionally misleading. I'm usually brewing my pumpkin ales in the beginning of October so that they are ready to drink a week or two before Thanksgiving and not too green.

I'll take it. It's more of an English Pale Ale, but ESB works fine. It's Northern Brewer's The Innkeeper, and the color is right at the upper limit for ESBs.

And btw, the guess that had it's roots in the right country was the Old Fuzzy Britches, which is an old ale.

You're up Reno!

Woo!

Here ya go fellas

ForumRunner_20120328_071241.jpg

Could it be a Dark Tripel or would Belgian Specialty be more fitting for one of those?

Dark Tripel is oxymoronic.... and if it's dark and on the weaker end of the tripel OG scale, you've got a dubbel. If it's dark and on the higher end of the tripel scale, you have either a quad or belgian dark strong.

Mmm, yes... quite. Bully my good man
feel%20like%20a%20sir.jpg

Dark Tripel is oxymoronic.... and if it's dark and on the weaker end of the tripel OG scale, you've got a dubbel. If it's dark and on the higher end of the tripel scale, you have either a quad or belgian dark strong.

I'm well aware of what color the BJCP dictates Tripel should be, but how many of the beers we post pictures of are actually to style? 60%? 75%? I was just thinking outside the bock, if you will... (ok, I will) :p

If a Tripel grain bill had some carafa special thrown in, making it darker than usual, would we call it a Dark Tripel or do we just shoot it over to Specialty? I hadn't thought about it before, but I think I'd call it the former. :tank:

I'm well aware of what color the BJCP dictates Tripel should be, but how many of the beers we post pictures of are actually to style? 60%? 75%? I was just thinking outside the bock, if you will... (ok, I will) :p

If a Tripel grain bill had some carafa special thrown in, making it darker than usual, would we call it a Dark Tripel or do we just shoot it over to Specialty? I hadn't thought about it before, but I think I'd call it the former. :tank:

Oh well I just being a bit of an a$$ on the last post ;)

At work and didn't have time to post something during lunch. Pass to the next available photo, and yes, one of these days I'll win when there's a time a photo can be posted!

I'm well aware of what color the BJCP dictates Tripel should be, but how many of the beers we post pictures of are actually to style? 60%? 75%?

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't aware that everyone on HBT produced beers that fit perfectly into style without any color fluctuations. Since the glass said Belgium, and dubbel had been guessed - tripel would keep me in the game.

Reno, I think it's great that every time I post on here/try to be involved, you must comment on it/be a ******. It was funny the first time - maybe the second...now you're just flexing your 10 million posts and superior knowledge to someone who is trying to get into this homebrewing thing.

Way. To. Go.

Reno, I think it's great that every time I post on here/try to be involved, you must comment on it/be a ******. It was funny the first time - maybe the second...now you're just flexing your 10 million posts and superior knowledge to someone who is trying to get into this homebrewing thing.

Way. To. Go.

Didn't realize posting a harmless meme was being a ****** ;)

I think you may be a bit too sensitive for the intarwebz :D

EDIT: I mean no harm to you and I am most certainly not targeting you. I just sometimes like to post silly responses to silly posts.... and you happen to have a few of them.

Reno_eNVy said:
EDIT: I mean no harm to you and I am most certainly not targeting you. I just sometimes like to post silly responses to silly posts.... and you happen to have a few of them.

I'll back you up on that, I haven't seen anything said that couldn't easily be taken with a grain of salt.
Honestly, I've learned a ton about beer styles from this thread. There are established guidelines for styles. That's what makes them styles. If your beer deviates from those guidelines, that should be stated upfront. For example - "This is a darker example of a common style." Then we can guess brown tripel! blonde stout!

bottlebomber said:
There are established guidelines for styles. That's what makes them styles. If your beer deviates from those guidelines, that should be stated upfront. For example - "This is a darker example of a common style." Then we can guess brown tripel! blonde stout!

Agreed. It kind of defeats the purpose if all sorts of liberties have been taken with the style and none of them are stated - at that point, we're just tossing around random guesses and getting it "right" becomes meaningless.

This is meant to test one's knowledge, so the focus should be on that rather than trying to mislead people. If something is unconventional about the beer in the picture, state it. Heck, even if the beer is the right color but your picture merely makes it look "off", you should be pointing people in the right direction - trying to make things more challenging is fine (and doing a bit of research to come up with a more difficult "puzzle" every now and then should even be encouraged), but there's a difference between challenging and "random". IMO, such statements shouldn't even be used as "hints" either, since they really only serve to correct errors that ideally wouldn't be there in the first place.

Back