Foam rising into airlock after just 12 hours! *pic*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I brewed up a Honey Brown Ale extract kit yesterday and used a yeast starter for the first time. Well my first starter worked + the combination of grains, LME and Honey and just 12 hours after putting her to bed the foam has risen into the airlock. Part of the problem is also the fact that I've got it in a 5 gallon BB. I only have 5 gal sizes in BB and did my first brew in a Primary bucket so you can't blame me for wanting to watch the process the 2nd time around!

Right now I have a rubber "stopper" type of cap on my better bottle with a hole just big enough to barely slide the airlock in to. I am thinking about going and purchasing the tubing necessary for a blow off.

Without my LHBS being closed today I am going to have to get tubing that will fit straight into the opening of the better bottle. Anyone done this and know what size tubing I need? Thanks!

Foam.jpg

Have you tried using the tubing that you use for bottling? I've made a blowoff using that and it worked great.

I have yet to bottle any of my brews so I don't have tubing on hand.

I have noticed that my airlock vodka level as dropped below the "thimble" looking thing inside it. In other words it's not bubbling anymore because of this and only foam is pushing through. Should I top it back off with vodka or just let the foam push through for a while?

Thanks

Got her hooked up - 5/8" tubing fits the airlock very snug for anyone wondering

It kinda' looks like you have 5 galons in a 5 gal carboy. Umm... I think you're supposed to limit it to 3.5-4 gal. The blowoff tube is a great idea. I did that for awhile after my first bad experience. Just be sure to put a couple inches of sanitizing solution or alcohol or something in the bucket to keep germs from going up your tube.

Next time, I'd recommend a 6.5 gal carboy if you are making 5 gal batches. The "Better Bottles" work great and they're pretty affordable.

Latest posts

Back