Sierra Nevada bottles are for unpleasants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
I got a bunch of bottles from someone and have been delabeling and cleaning them for the last few days, which I don't really mind, but there were 8 Sierra Nevada bottles in the mix and they gave me more trouble than all of the rest of the bottles combined. Even after letting them soak for 24 hours they required a little bit of scrubbing to get the glue off the bottles.

Most of the rest of the bottles were cake, the labels fell off within a couple of hours and usually the glue was gone a couple of hours later. Even bottles with plastic labels were easier for me than the Sierra Nevada bottles.

I think we all have our bottle nemesis...Mine is O'fallon's Pumpkin Ale, great beer but the bottles have a laminated stack of layers, one of them is all the orange pumpkins, and the lettering, sandwhiched between a clear layer and the background label. Even after a 2 day soak in oxyclean they still didn't totally fall off...

ofallon-pumpkin-ale.jpg

Try adding some Oxy Clean to your soak water next time. Those Sierra Nevada lables will slide right off.

yep, I used nice, hot water. I didn't even have to pull the labels off the other bottles, they just fell off. I ended up peeling the labels off the Sierra Nevada bottles and then scrubbing at the glue residue, it was pretty soft and came off pretty easily, but I did still have to scrub at it.

Did you use warm water? Sierra Nevada bottles are my favorites when it comes to labels.

+1 I buy it by the case when I need bottles. A 30 minutes soak in hot PBW and the labels float right off. Rinse with hot water and take a green & yellow scotch pad takes the rest of the glue off. I then have a nice case box to store them as well.

I think we all have our bottle nemesis...Mine is O'fallon's Pumpkin Ale, great beer but the bottles have a laminated stack of layers, one of them is all the orange pumpkins, and the lettering, sandwhiched between a clear layer and the background label. Even after a 2 day soak in oxyclean they still didn't totally fall off...

Good lord I know what you mean. All of O'Fallon's labels are like that. It seems like the damn things are spot welded onto the bottle. The best bet with those is soak them for a LOOOONG time in HOT water and use a sturdy scrubby. Or just say F#&@ it and leave the labels on. On a side note I have sixer of that pumpkin ale sitting around from last year..I wonder how it will taste....

I've never had trouble with the Sierra Nevada lables, they always slide right off after a short time in warm water + oxy clean.

I've never had trouble with the Sierra Nevada lables, they always slide right off after a short time in warm water + oxy clean.

Absolutely, I've never had a label issue when using a hot oxiclean soak. They are my favorite 12oz bottles, I like the simple shape and lack of distinguishing marks.

Emptying them is no chore either, I love SNPA! :drunk:

I just took a SNPA bottle out of the soak. The label came right off but the glue does try to stay. The oxy-clean breaks it up; if you use the rough side of a scrubby sponge instead of trying to use your hand it takes it right off.

edit: I had to reword that about 4 times so it had the least sexual connotation. This was the best I could do. I passed up such gems as: "get it off with your fingers" and "rub it off with your hand".

Absolutely, I've never had a label issue when using a hot oxiclean soak. They are my favorite 12oz bottles, I like the simple shape and lack of distinguishing marks.

Emptying them is no chore either, I love SNPA! :drunk:

Ditto. Plus, their 24 ounce bottles are even better - same shape so they fit in the fridge nicely, and the conversation with SWMBO goes something like:

SWMBO: How many beers are you going to drink?
BrewBrain: One

I just use one scoop of oxyclean to a sink full of hot water. Bottles go in, I go read these forums for a few minutes, and the labels are usually floating in the sink when I come back to check them. My favorite bottles are Erdinger and Sam Adams.

Back