Am I in Trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjjmon

Reaction score
Hello all. New member and first post. I made my first all grain beer last weekend. It is Bell's 2 Hearted IPA. Everything thing went great and I hit my OG on the money. After the boil I chilled the wort and poured it into the fermenter. Added yeast and all is well. After doing a little research, should I not have dumped everything into the fermenter? There was quite a lot of solid material that went in. I hope I didn't mess it up.

Thanks

No, you'll be fine end result may be a little less beer as the trub layer will be thicker. Most of us leave the hot break material in the kettle. Welcome to the hobby that leads to a compulsion.

It will all settle out in the fermenter when fermentation stops. Just make sure you leave it in the fermenter for at least 3 weeks so it packs down nicely. That will give the yeast plenty of time to clean up after themselves and fall out of suspension, too. If you have the ability to cold crash (dropping temp to near freezing and holding it for a few days) I would suggest doing that also before bottling. That will help with clarity of the finished beer.

The only issue that could come up is if you're using a bucket with a spigot on the bottom. The trub and yeast will be above the level of the spigot. Definitely need to rack the beer off the top when you transfer it to your bottling bucket.

You should be ok, all the solid matter will sink. So if you rack into secondary you should be ok,

Thanks for the quick replies. I will be racking to a secondary. I was concerned with all the hop residue too but I guess that won't be a problem.

No will be ok. Relax and enjoy homebrewing, just make sure you rack.

I just dump it all in. After a few weeks it all settles out and it is just fine.

I believe in just making it simple. Just dump, let gravity do what it has been doing forever, and all will be fine.

The thing about brewing, is that if you ask 10 brewers a question, you will get 12 different answers. Just figure out what works for you.

I just dump it all in. After a few weeks it all settles out and it is just fine.

I believe in just making it simple. Just dump, let gravity do what it has been doing forever, and all will be fine.

That's what I do, too. My system just doesn't have a good way to filter out hot break, and I have a CFC so the cold break goes into the fermenter anyway. Hops debris is no big deal at all, and I don't worry about it.

I tend to do a primary-only, and make a lot of IPAs and they all turn out clear with no problems. I don't strain or otherwise do anything special, but I have to use a bazooka tube or a hops bag for a lot of leaf hops because they will clog up my pumps.

Yooper said:
That's what I do, too. My system just doesn't have a good way to filter out hot break, and I have a CFC so the cold break goes into the fermenter anyway. Hops debris is no big deal at all, and I don't worry about it.

I tend to do a primary-only, and make a lot of IPAs and they all turn out clear with no problems. I don't strain or otherwise do anything special, but I have to use a bazooka tube or a hops bag for a lot of leaf hops because they will clog up my pumps.

Yes...the only thing to worry about is whole hops. Learned that one the hard way two brews ago trying to use up some leftovers without planning ahead. Plugged everything up so bad I had to leave a half gallon behind D-:

Back