ECY05 Brett Blend #9 primary experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loctones

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with ECY05 used in primary fermentation? I'm going to try out a 100% brett beer, and am curious what I can expect from this yeast. The description describes more traditional secondary-style characteristics:

A blend of Brettanomyces that produces a dry, leathery, horsey and/or goaty profile. Can have a pronounced barnyard character and be added at any stage of fermentation. Funk is in the house, so let it out.

I'll probably start with a basic lower-gravity saison recipe, and then maybe fit in some complimentary hops in a pale ale on a subsequent beer. Of course, given the description, I'm going to use it for some secondary fermentation as well.

No help, but if you want to swap ECY strains, have extra 03 now and bug farm in the future.

I've never packaged and shipped yeast before, but I could give it a shot. I have some extra White Labs vials and I'm planning on making a 2L starter for this beer. I'd be interested in swapping for the bugfarm.

I've never packaged and shipped yeast before, but I could give it a shot. I have some extra White Labs vials and I'm planning on making a 2L starter for this beer. I'd be interested in swapping for the bugfarm.

Just clean and sanitize old white lab vials and fill em up. Throw it in a zip-lock with and ice-pack and throw that in a priority mail box, the small ones are only $5. It'll be a while before I rack bugfarm over and have slurry, but I'm good for it.

I have been doing something just like you are talking about. I grew up a yeast starter over 2 weeks, stepping it up 1/2 way through. I pitched it into 5 gallons of 1.050 saison and threw it into my chest freezer with another 5 gallons with just traditional saison yeast. It started fermenting slower than the Sacc. yeast but has a little pellicle on top of it right now. Both have been sitting at 75 degrees. I may take samples of both tonight or tomorrow to see how they are coming along, I brewed them on 11/24. I will try and let you know how it is coming along.

Chromados

Yes, please let me know how the flavor turns out. I haven't been able to find any information about how ECY05 works as a primary yeast. I'd love to hear what sorts of aromas and flavors you get from it in primary.

I put together a preliminary recipe last night. It's a pretty standard saison recipe, aiming for 1.047 SG using Hallertau hops, since I have no idea what character I'm going to get from the yeast.

I've got a beer that started with ECY05 in primary and then subsequently had various dregs added (too many to list without looking at my notes). The primary finished out quite clean from what I recall, but that was over a year ago so my memory could be off. My plan was to get some solid growth to split the cake and add additional dregs to the second beer as well.

I'll dig up my notes in terms of the numbers and flavor/aroma perceptions (prior to the first round of dregs). The beer is now showing some signs of the more classic leather and barnyard, which complement the acidity nicely at 18+ months. I recently soaked .5 oz's of medium toast French oak in Chardonnay for about two months and added it when I racked it over to a keg for extended aging.

I had a big, robust starter of 3711 pitched into an 80/20 pils/wheat saison with an opened pack of ecy05 (no starter) and it turned out awesome. Pleasantly funky, tart. Generally great Brett blend. My only suggestion is to flush all vessels with co2. That will help avoid souring (too much) and leave you with an evolving beer. 1 year later and it's still changing.

Dug up my notes from the six weeks into primary with just ECY05 (no dregs yet):

"Slightly acidic. Thin and tart, very dry. Light fruits w/ some very slight funk in the nose, starting to develop a Brett B character. White peach, apricot? "

70% Belgian Pils
15% Maris Otter
12% White Wheat
3% Carapils

Thanks for the info. This makes me think that starting with a simple recipe is the best thing to do, to start. I'll report back after fermentation.

Back