freezer set up question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puroman

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a Kenmore Chest freezer along with a Ranco Single stage Temp Control. I plugged everything in and when I set the temp to 65, along with setting it on the cool setting, the probe is holding at 61 degrees. When I set it to Heat setting, the freezer still wants to cool down. What am I doing wrong? Do I need another piece of equipment? I'm getting ready to brew and I need my fermenter to be around 70 to 75. My understanding was all I needed was to by the temp controller, plug it in like I did and I would be all good. But it doesnt seem the case. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What is the room temperature? As long as it is warmer than your setting and you have the ranco set to cold you should be fine. You don't want to have it set to hot unless you are using a heater to bring the temperature up.
You also might want to check the number of degrees you have it set to allow before kicking on. Did you wire the ranco yourself?

Right on, first question, what is the ambient temperature in the area where the refrigerator is located? If it's less than your setpoint you're going to need a heatsource as well and probably a dual stage controller.

Second thing, maybe you set the temp to 65, and maybe the ranco shut the fridge off when the probe hit 65, but there is usually some latent cooling effect, i.e. the temperature continues to drop even after the refrigerator shuts off. So it could have continued to drop to 61.

Thanks. Everything has stabilized. Holding right at 70 which is right where I want it for this next brew. Thanks to everyone who answered.

Latest posts

Back