Will this recipe give too chocolate flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
12 gallon batch
OG 1.085

36# 2-Row
2# C60
20oz Chocolate

If it gives too much chocolate, how can we get it to around 23SRM without adding too much roasty/chocolate flavor.

well, that is relative. It does not appear to be too much to me-- assuming you are speaking of chocolate malt. If so, I would say even more is appropriate. What are you looking to get in your flavor profile?

The title is a little misleading.

We don't want the flavor from the chocolate malt. We want the color.

Use some Carafa special in place of chocolate if you are just looking for color.

This. Chocolate malt gets its name moreso from its color, not its flavor. It gives more of a roasty flavor than anything (as opposed to tasting like straight up chocolate). If you want the color with little malt flavor, go with a dark Carafa.

23 SRM is not red, you would be making an imperial brown with this bill. use 2-4oz of carafa III

Good point! I didn't even catch that after looking at the recipe. A good red color is around 14-17 in my experience. And it depends on whose talking as to what to add. You can get there with chocolate, roasted barley, carafa III, Briess Midnight Wheat. I use a heavy combo of C-120 and Special B but that leave me with a very dextrinous wort and thick body which is what I'm shooting for but may not be what you want. If you want to avoid any roast/chocolate flavor I'd pick the darkest thing you can and add as little as possible.

36 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.9 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.2 %
5.3 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3 0.9 %

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.083 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.7 %
Est Color: 15.3 SRM

We added de-bittered black patent at the last 5 minutes of the mash. I think it is red. From the SRM chart etc. We'll see how it turns out.

Back