co2 tank leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrskunk

Reaction score
So yesterday I went to fill my co2 tank, when I was unscrewing the regulator I banged the handle on top. Fast forward to this morning I went to hook it up and thought It felt light and when I went to turn on the gas it was coming out of the valve handle area then empty.

Now is this something that's fixable or is it time for a new tank?

Time for a tank exchange. Got an Airgas nearby?

Cheers!

Seriously? You'd exchange a tank that you knew you were responsible for damaging and just hope nobody noticed?

@OP: Where do you think the leak is coming from? If it's from the tank itself, those can be hard to repair. If it's in the regulator, that's easier.

Seriously? You'd exchange a tank that you knew you were responsible for damaging and just hope nobody noticed?

Seriously? I wouldn't bat an eye about exchanging a leaking tank with a company like Airgas that makes a profit dealing with such things...

Cheers!

Part of why you pay a premium price for your CO2 at a place like Airgas is their cost for testing tanks and fixing things like this.

I wouldn't think twice about trading it in.

re-valving probably has a cost similar to exchanging

It's only a damaged seal and the seal is easy to replace without removing the valve from the tank.

But the other posters are right - exchange it. Companies like Airgas deal with stuff like this all the time. The leak will be obvious when they try to fill the tank - they will pull the tank off the fill station, pull off the handle, unscrew the jamb nut holding in the seal, replace the seal, reassemble & continue on.

Yes, any airgas will swap them out. In most cases, I just get a swapped tank everytime, instead of getting the same one filled.

I admit that I don't own a bottle, and just pick up a new one when I need it from them. I use our companies discount since we buy alot from them, and just do it through the company. So if you own, I guess you'd want to get it re filled and keep your bottle.

I had a brand new never filled bottle and I just traded it in for a full one when I started. There really isn't much point in keeping your own bottle other than it may look nice if it's new, unless you can save a few bucks by having it filled somewhere.

Back