Not too much ricotta out of my mozz...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's not a culture, but regardless to get more ricotta you need to bring the whey almost to a boil and let it sit for a bit (not sure how long). This is why its called ricotta; it is cooked twice. it can be made without a culture, I have done it with just milk and cider vinegar but i haven't tried with whey, this is just from what I've read online.

I used rennet, is that what you mean?

There are 2 ways to make moz. The way I normally use is with citric acid and rennet. There is another way which uses thermophilic culture to raise the acidity instead of the citric acid and rennet.

If you are trying to make ricotta with just reheating your whey it works much better if you are using whey that came from the thermophilic culture and rennet method. Otherwise there is a method for making ricotta using whole milk and an acid (vinegar or citric or whatever)

This link has both methods for ya . . .

Ricotta

Back