American IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbRedGetta

Reaction score
Anybody care to give an opinion on how this might turn out?

Just a little background -- I love IPAs, and earlier this year I made a Ruination clone that was amazing. However, I'm looking for something not quite as big to take to the beach. I stumbled upon Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, and since I love that beer, I thought I'd try to use that as a foundation but scale it down just a touch. This is my first attempt at creating my own recipe (if you could even call it that), so don't be afraid to tell me if it'll suck (but if you do, offer suggestions for how to make it better!).

6.6 lbs Pale LME
1 lb Extra Light DME
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L

.5 oz Warrior @ 60
.5 oz Warrior from 60 min. to 35 min. (continuous)

[the next two hops are mixed together and continuously hopped from 35 min. to 0 min.]
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe (or Horizon)

[dry-hop 7 days]
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe (or Horizon)

Ringwood/Dry English yeast

For the 35 to 0 additions, is it .5oz Amarillo and .5oz Simcoe per addition or is that total?

Have you used an English yeast like that before on an American IPA? I think most people prefer something cleaner like the WLP001 strain (WY1056, US05) for American IPAs/PAs.

It would be 1 oz total across the 35 minutes.

I haven't, and actually I thought about using WLP001, but I didn't know if the English yeast would be more like the original DFH 60.

I'd increase the dry hop a bit more. Maybe an ounce to an ounce and a half each.

Back