Converting an Imperial Recipe in half

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, I already posted a thread with my recipe and asking for critiques here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/help-my-yeti-imperial-stout-session-beer-231328/, but what I was wondering is how you would convert a recipe like the original one, an imperial stout, to a session beer.

With that said, I know in most recipes, if you want to up/lower the OG, just add/lower base malt, and the specialty grains stay the same. However, don't you think that one would need to perhaps use less specialty malts if the original recipe was a imperial stout?

Thanks for the help,
J

It will end up less in every way if you use less specialty malts. It will be half as dark, half as roasty, etc. If that's what you want, then OK, but generally you're right, just use less base malt.

Right, but what I'm thinking is that it would be over the top roasty if I were to use the same amount of specialty malts as the original clone has don't you think?

Back