I'm hearing conflicting information

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Jose State University

Reaction score
I've read though "how to brew" by john palmer online, and also tried searching this forum, but I keep getting different info on when to pitch the yeast.

Some say the temp should be between 65-72 deg F, some say 100-110, and others say 72-80, and to never let it get above 100 or yeast will die.

Obviously I'm seeing much different information from source to source. Therefore, would someone please let me know what temperature I should have the water when first introducing the yeast to water and the slurry to the wort??

Thank you.:mug:

You talking about rehydrating dry yeast?

I generally use lukewarm water - probably a little below body temp, so probably 85ish. Basically, the temp where I don't say "ooh, that's cool" or "ooh - that's warm". More important is the temp of your wort when you pitch - ideally, for an ale you want to be below 70, basically at your fermentation temp. Too high can cause fruity esters to develop as the yeast are stressed.

There are many answers because there are many yeasts.

Rehydration 85-95F

Pitch at the high end of the yeast's fermentation range. You get better growth that way.

Pouring wort on a yeast cake. Aim for the low end. It will blow anyway, but not as violently.

If you are looking for ONE answer, try a church.;) But, don't try TWO churches.

david_42 said:
If you are looking for ONE answer, try a church.;) But, don't try TWO churches.

Ever read the bible? One answer, my ass. :D

Honestly, OP, it's not all that important to get a precise number here. Over 105 you run the risk of killing the yeast. Under 65 and you run the risk of long lag times due to slow starts. Just cool your wort into the 70's or 80's somewhere, and pitch. All will be well.

before pitching yeast:

hydrometer readings are most accurate at 60° (usually taken between 70-80°)

80° is the highest temp you want your wort to be before pitching yeast, 70° is most desirable. (although, through personal experiences, it can be done as high as high 90° because although yeast propagation is ideal at this temprature, this does not mean the by-products produced by yeast at these temps will be good for your beer)

If you hydrate dry yeast, or make a yeast-slurry (as it's called) the water should be sanatized and be between 70 to 96° ideally.

Fermentation temps for yeast are ideal between 65-75° (although, some of us have done it in temps as high as 80° with no adverse reactions or off-flavors) but it is "ill-advised" to let them get above 75° as they can begin to produce fruity or medicine like off flavors.

Secondary fermentation is NOT necessary, it should be more accurately termed as "clarification or conditioning" which, in part, may be done in a secondary carboy or bucket or by bottling after primary fermentation is complete.

below 80 is what I go by. I usually try for like 74 or so, but if im in a hurry ill pitch it once its below 80.

Once my new equip. gets here, waiting wont be a problem!
:mug:

Evan! said:

That's why he suggested a church. You'll only get one answer at a church, regardless of the multitude of answers that might be present in the sacred text that church is based on.

Evan! said:

Honestly, OP, it's not all that important to get a precise number here. Over 105 you run the risk of killing the yeast. Under 65 and you run the risk of long lag times due to slow starts. Just cool your wort into the 70's or 80's somewhere, and pitch. All will be well.

Thanks a lot to everyone who responded. It looks like evan sums up all the answers you have quite well, so I'll try working with that. Phew.

Latest posts

Back