How To: Ranco Two Stage ETC Wiring Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
Last night I arrived to find that my just delivered Ranco two stage (dual) Temperature Controller didn't come pre-wired. I did extensive searching and didn't find any tutorials in the HBT forums. I am not taking credit for creating this tutorial, just adding here for our wealth of information. I was able to wire mine up in about 20 minutes...with these instructions, it is super easy.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic10.jpg

That's GREAT and have you considered adding a step that marks the two stage wires externally so you can tell the difference?

That's GREAT and have you considered adding a step that marks the two stage wires externally so you can tell the difference?

I used an orange extension cord and a white extension cord. Orange for fire & white for snow...hot and cold. Cheesy but it will help me remember.

You might consider adding a halex fitting to the bottom of the ranco so that you don't pull the wires off of the terminals when you pull on the extension cords.

I just bought one of these and when it comes in I'm going to use this how to...

BTW, what did you use for the cords? I just bought a couple 9' extension cords that I plan on cutting up.

Very cool, been a long time since I've done any electrical. Thanks so much for the tutorial with very good detail.

Does anybody have an idea on whether I have to wire the Ranco differently for using it with 240v in Europe? Can't seem to find any info on that...

Does anybody have an idea on whether I have to wire the Ranco differently for using it with 240v in Europe? Can't seem to find any info on that...
Yes it is different for input power with 240V. Take a close look at the first picture in this thread. The OP placed the top black wire on the 120V input terminal. You would need to place it in the left termnal that is labeled 240V.
He later wired the input neutral to the right post (com). You would wire the other 240V lead to the com terminal.

Page 5 of the Installation Manual bottom left image shows the input detail of the connections.

Thanks a ton for posting this. I just got my Ranco and will wire it according to these instructions.
I have a question about the wires themselves, though. Does anyone know the recommended gauge to use? If I step down in size (higher gauge) from what's pictured, will I overload the wires?
Thanks for any input.

EDIT/UPDATE
I used 16 gauge wire. It fit into the terminals perfectly and all the wires and nuts easily fit into the box. The controller has been working great for several days.

Thank you, thank you!! I was afraid to plug it in, but it worked on the first try!

In case it helps anyone else, my two outlets didn't have black and white wires. The ground wire (middle) did have a green coating, but the other two were both white (color of outlet). I came to learn that the smooth wire was HOT and the ribbed wire was NEUTRAL.

Thanks, really helped.

Just a modification ... I used a single receptacle for both circuits. If you look closely at most receptacles there is a small piece of copper connecting the two poles. Simply cut the copper tab out (BOTH) sides and you can wire up the heating and cooling to one receptacle.

I used a single pole box, one receptacle, a 6' long pigtail plug for power and extra wire and conduit nuts to hold the boxes together.

BE SURE TO USE YOUR TESTER

Check your continuity between the poles as well.

IMG_6334.jpg

Here is a Pix of my take. I also wired in a duplex outlet, but you only need to break the tab on the power (black wire) side.

ForumRunner_20130414_135411.png

Resurrecting the dead here I know, just bummed the pictures aren't showing on this one! Just picked up a dual stage for my fermenter!

You hit the nail on the head! I had forgotten my work PC has a web filter! I'm super stoked to find this thread. I'll be wiring mine up this week, thanks to this thread. A tip of the hat to Doc Robinson!

Back