64dF too cold for Safale 04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've got my Redhook ESB in primary down in the basement and the stick-on fermometer is showing a solid 64. It's actually up on a milk crate in the corner because I figure directly on the slab would be a couple degrees cooler. I'm wondering if I'm nearing the temp where the yeast will go dormant. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of picking up a waterbed heating pad on ebay for this situation (and for regulating lager ferments in my 40 degree garage).

What's the packaging say? I pitched the US-56 on the porter I brewed last night, and my basement is around 62-64. When I left the house this morning, the fermometer read 64. The US-56 packaging lists the temp range for that strain as 59-74f, so I feel fine about it. Not sure if the 04 is the same.

Just check the range on the packaging and stay within it.

Found on several HBS websites:
DCL has isolated this yeast from the famous commercial brewery Whitbread. This well-known English Ale strain exhibits fast fermentation with unique sedimentation properties, helping to improve beer clarity. In the recommended temperature range of 60º-70º, the Safale S-04 will attenuate the wort down to 1008-1012 within 2 or 3 days. The ideal yeast to produce the best Ales!
Looks like you're right in the temperature range. RDWHAHB!

homebrewer_99 said:
If your primary is a bucket you can use a brewbelt. :D

How about placing it closer to the water heater?:confused:

Brewbelts are not for carboys.

Hey I was just wondering what I should use for a carboy to keep it warm, since I have to move it down to the basement because SWMBO doesn't like my fermenters in the kitchen. Ill def. be throwing a box with a blanket over it to insulate, but i don't know about keeping it warm. Same question applying to bottles. Thanks.

-Cheers :mug:

I've heard you could raise an isulated box by a consistent few degrees by putting a low wattage lamp inside. Another idea is a heat rock for a reptile cage or an aquarium heater submerged in a small bucket of water. If you keep the water at 80 degrees, it's likely to warm the small compartment of surounding air. Either that or submerge the entire fermenter in a rubbermaid tub or cooler and use the heater in that water.

Back