Erupting Vial of White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this was a first...I was making a starter using White Labs 013 London Ale. I had the vial out of the fridge for about an hour and was about to pitch it in my cooled wort. I gave it a good shake, opened the vial, and the thing exploded like I just shook a can of warm Coca Cola. The thing acted like it had carbonation!

Has anyone ever experienced this before with White Labs vials? I put the cap back on, let it settle down a bit. I reopened and it kind of erupted again....I was able to pour it in my flask, but I'm just confused as to why this would happen.

Anything you think I should be concerned about? I'm bummed because I lost a bit of my yeast......

Yep, I have had that happen before. Now I just crack it carefully when opening.

I made a starter so it was not too bad.

The first time I ever bought a WL yeast the guy warned me to open it slowly "like a warm bottle of shaken soda" so that it wouldn't gush.

Consider the pressure proof that the yeast is viable. And losing some is not an issue at all since you are doing a starter.

Back