Beer farts ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipbr21054

Reaction score
I made some bitter and did all the usual things so not to take any trub / cloudy yeast etc into secondary before putting into bottlles.
After one month i decided to have a bottle and see what it was like,there was a very minute amount of yeast in the bottom of the bottle.
After an hour etc you beging to pass wind ?
I have now had a couple over the next few days and there is a definate pattern when i drink one.

Can anybody explain why ?

Same reason beans make you fart. Plus the fact that it has a lot more yeast. Your beer is "living" while most other beer out there is "dead". Just keep drinking until your system gets used to the influx of longer chained dextrins and yeast.

Beer is wonderful and it wants you to spread the word. Word of mouth is never enough to spread the word, therefore beer employs ALL your orifices.....Beer is good, word is spread, world is more wonderful for the knowledge......Just a little more smelly.

Yeah it is probably your system not used to the yeast, I ate a tablespoon of bread yeast as a dare once. I was like an car exauhst pipe for the day, releasing out of both ends all day. Today for fun I swirled up the yeast in my beer bottle and drank it, had a bit of a buildup from that as well.

I'm pretty sure that the yeast won't survive into the colon. On the other hand, some unfermented sugars can and the gut yeast will ferment them. The by-products of that secondary fermentation is what causes your giggle blasts.

I warn you don't I REPEAT DON'T play dutch oven with SWMBO after a few hombrews

fart.gif

I have heard that taking some Beano will help with these symtoms, but what fun would that be??

It's the make up of the yeast that causes flatulence, there basically dead when they hit the stomach acid.

I remember reading some long drawn out scientific explanation once. Like most things long and drawn out, I tend to remember the gist of it. Details are for OCD's. ;)

I find trapping the girl friend under the bed covers while farting profusely makes one feel a whole lot better about the situation! :)

I warn you don't I REPEAT DON'T play dutch oven with SWMBO after a few hombrews

fart.gif

I have heard that taking some Beano will help with these symtoms, but what fun would that be??

+1 on that.I woke up to my wife spraying me with febreeze!

It's the make up of the yeast that causes flatulence, there basically dead when they hit the stomach acid.

I remember reading some long drawn out scientific explanation once. Like most things long and drawn out, I tend to remember the gist of it. Details are for OCD's. ;)

Yeast cell walls contain some very long chained saccharide polymers called oligosaccharides. They are not easily broken down by enzymes in the small intestine. Therefore, when the oligosaccharides hit the large intestine, the friendly flora of bacteria have a field day. They go to town on the stuff and produce a lot of gas in the process.

Yeast cell walls contain some very long chained saccharide polymers called oligosaccharides. They are not easily broken down by enzymes in the small intestine. Therefore, when the oligosaccharides hit the large intestine, the friendly flora of bacteria have a field day. They go to town on the stuff and produce a lot of gas in the process.

See, I have people to recall the info for me. :D

Good job Ed. You get and extra cookie this week.

I'm pretty sure that the yeast won't survive into the colon. On the other hand, some unfermented sugars can and the gut yeast will ferment them. The by-products of that secondary fermentation is what causes your giggle blasts.

So that is what they mean when they talk about a secondary fermenter. I was told I do not need one but I use one. :D

I just posted this in the debate forum but it fits here too. :D

Funny, I just watched "Inherit the Wind" this past Saturday night. I thought this stuff was long over with.

Ok movie though.

So that is what they mean when they talk about a secondary fermenter. I was told I do not need one but I use one. :D

Actually secondary fermentation is a bit of a misnomer. What he's referring to is bottle conditioning/carbonation.

It's not just yeast cells -- it's the oligosaccharides in the barley as well!

Back