Adding US-05 to an unfinished fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmb

Reaction score
So as some may know, trying to get a Belgian Strong to ferment all the way is a pain with the finicky yeast strains.

My beer tastes sweet, thick and syrupy. It just seems unfinished and in fact only got down ro 1.020.

Would adding US-05 to finish a Wyeast 1388 Belgian off be a bad idea? I was thinking about trying it with half my batch.

I am hoping that US-05 won't effect the taste.

What was your starting gravity? US-05 is a clean strain and I doubt you'll be able to tell that it was used, when it's paired up with a Belgian strain. The only bad situation I can really think of is if your ABV is already too high, in which case you would want to use a more tolerant or aggressive strain.

rmb said:
So as some may know, trying to get a Belgian Strong to ferment all the way is a pain with the finicky yeast strains. My beer tastes sweet, thick and syrupy. It just seems unfinished and in fact only got down ro 1.020. Would adding US-05 to finish a Wyeast 1388 Belgian off be a bad idea? I was thinking about trying it with half my batch. I am hoping that US-05 won't effect the taste.

Can you give us a little more info? What is the recipe? O.G.? A little info on your process( all grain or extract, steeping grains, mash temps)? That info can help a lot in diagnosing your issue.

10 lbs Pilsen Light LME
1.5 lbs Cane Sugar
3 oz Saaz (Boiled at 45 mins)
Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

I was expecting the FG to be abut 1.018, not 1.020

Using LME.

Fermented for 4 weeks, ending up at 78 degrees temp.

Been natural carbing in the keg for 3 weeks now. Evertime i check the pressure, ever other day, the keg pressure is naturally up to 25-35 PSI.

It seems to still be farting C02.

Can I take an accurate gravity reading while carbed?

What was your starting gravity? US-05 is a clean strain and I doubt you'll be able to tell that it was used, when it's paired up with a Belgian strain. The only bad situation I can really think of is if your ABV is already too high, in which case you would want to use a more tolerant or aggressive strain.

Did not think of that, thanks.

Yeah, it should be approaching 7.5% ABV... so it might be too high for US-05?

78 degrees might not be quite warm enough. I know it isn't the same yeast but I used a Wyeast 3944 in a Belgian with that wouldn't quite finish. With some digging, I found that it liked it warmer....much warmer. At 85 degrees it finished in a couple days. Yours might work the same, maybe not. YMMV

Turned up to 80+.

Temp controller doesn't go higher.

I hate leaving chamber that hot. It makes me feel bacteria is breeding like crazy.

If this doesn't do the trick then I will add US-05.

rmb said:
Did not think of that, thanks. Yeah, it should be approaching 7.5% ABV... so it might be too high for US-05?

No way. I top US05 out at 13%ish. My RIS stopped at 13.1%

I was expecting the FG to be abut 1.018, not 1.020

Unless the above is a typo, you're getting stable gravity readings within 2 points of your target FG... this is well within the margin of error of what even the most persnickety homebrewer can hope to achieve, especially with a higher-gravity beer.

Package, carb, chill, and enjoy, this beer is done.

Unless the above is a typo, you're getting stable gravity readings within 2 points of your target FG... this is well within the margin of error of what even the most persnickety homebrewer can hope to achieve, especially with a higher-gravity beer.

Package, carb, chill, and enjoy, this beer is done.

Okay... thanks. this weekend I`ll check it again.

But to the other question... yes it is kegged in a secondary with a quarter cup of priming sugar... this is week 4 in the keg... week 8 total.

I'm most likely gonna chill it this weekend.

Maybe I might take a gallon and try to add US-05 just to see what happens in a week.

Back