Too much protein!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshi

Reaction score
Guys,

I was doing a 15 gallon batch of porter, and I added some kettle finings to settle out the proteins (polyclar) 10 minutes before the end of boil, and did a whirlpool and rest, but I never really saw the beer clear up. I thought this might be normal for a porter, but once I got towards the bottom of my kettle, I realized the proteins probably never really settled out. I only really saw hops in my trub pile (not much protein), so my assumption is that those proteins stayed in the beer and travelled to the fermentor.

I understand that too much protein might hurt the beers life span (make it less stable), but will there be any other serious consequences of not getting those proteins out of the beer? Will it hurt yeast metabolism? Off flavors etc.?

Thanks!

Marshi

Guys,

I was doing a 15 gallon batch of porter, and I added some kettle finings to settle out the proteins (polyclar) 10 minutes before the end of boil, and did a whirlpool and rest, but I never really saw the beer clear up. I thought this might be normal for a porter, but once I got towards the bottom of my kettle, I realized the proteins probably never really settled out. I only really saw hops in my trub pile (not much protein), so my assumption is that those proteins stayed in the beer and travelled to the fermentor.

I understand that too much protein might hurt the beers life span (make it less stable), but will there be any other serious consequences of not getting those proteins out of the beer? Will it hurt yeast metabolism? Off flavors etc.?

Thanks!

Marshi

Since when is polyclar a kettle fining? I've only ever heard of it being added to the secondary fermenter.

Haha, not sure, it might be a different type... but for all intents and purposes what I used was a kettle fining, it's like an Irish moss, it's supposed to help with protein coagulation.

Anyways, any thoughts?

Edited: Just kidding, it does look like you can use polyclar as a kettle addition. You should be mixing into a paste or thinner with some water or wort before adding it in- you may have had it clump up when you tossed it in and then the fining ability would be greatly reduced.

I looked it up. I believe they also have a product called Polyclar Brewbrite which mixes is in carrageenan with the "modified" PVPP for use as a kettle fining.

No worries, yeah I definitely mixed it with water before adding it. I think my procedures were right on, I'm just worried about too much protein in the fermentor, is that going to produce any off flavors?

No worries, yeah I definitely mixed it with water before adding it. I think my procedures were right on, I'm just worried about too much protein in the fermentor, is that going to produce any off flavors?

Nope, definitely not. There's always going to be at least a little but it doens't affect anything at all. It's down there because it's insoluble, which means nothing in there is getting into your beer. Lots of people don't bother to filter out or whirlpool any trub, including myself. You're good :mug:

Back