Green Mold?? Or Scooby Bi Product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humblehealer

Reaction score
Hello every one, I made a 5 gallon batch of a kombucha tea with fresh grown herbs. Used 1/2 cups of tea total. 1/4cup Moringa tea, 1/4 cup yerbal mate, cats claw, green tea, spearmint. White & brown sugar 1-2 Ratio

Used a previous mother with over 40 different teas.
Kombucha taste great 9/10, batch grew very fast, doesn't smell bad.

Looking for a 2nd opinion

Pic 1
2qx2gcy.jpg

Pic 2 Zoom

23lmcg4.jpg

Thanks for your time.

That doesn't look like mold to me!! But maybe some one with more experience can chimey in.

That doesn't look like mold to me!! But maybe some one with more experience can chimey in.

Doesn't look like any type of mold i seen before. Honestly, I think it might be yeast from the culture but the normal brown yeast is green due to the high nitrogen content from the moringa and green tea.

Btw this 'green slime' started after i bottled all my batch. Around 10-12 Days after with 1/4 solution left. And can be found to form inside some of the bigger bottles.

????

The OP doesn't look like mold, the mold that would form on kombucha would be fuzzy, like how bread and fruit mold looks. What you have looks like some kind of algae growth. It looks like something my Dad scrapes from his pool. It's green and slimy too.
I cannot say exactly what that is you have there, but it sounds and looks gross, and I wouldn't want to drink it.
Have you checked the pH of any of the previous bottled batch?

From everything I've read, you are supposed to use only black, green or white tea, not herbal tea, the oils in the herbs interfere with the balance of yeast and bacteria, and can even kill the yeast. I have read of folks using yerba mate. Also generally use white or raw sugar, not brown. Your culture may be out of whack.

From everything I've read, you are supposed to use only black, green or white tea, not herbal tea, the oils in the herbs interfere with the balance of yeast and bacteria, and can even kill the yeast. I have read of folks using yerba mate. Also generally use white or raw sugar, not brown. Your culture may be out of whack.

Yerba mate is supposed to be fine. But isn't moringa that tree bark thing all these people are trying to scam me into buying on social media? Zilja? I'm not paying $120/mo for tree bark shakes, sorry.

If that is what is screwing up your brew, at least now we know not to use that. It's not a failure, you've discovered an option that doesn't work!

Yerba mate is supposed to be fine. But isn't moringa that tree bark thing all these people are trying to scam me into buying on social media? Zilja? I'm not paying $120/mo for tree bark shakes, sorry.

If that is what is screwing up your brew, at least now we know not to use that. It's not a failure, you've discovered an option that doesn't work!

Ughh wat? Moringa is a leaf it's one of the most nutrient rich plants on earth. Moringa tea kombucha it's self works it's trying to use other medicinal herbs also.

Used more white sugar in the past got better results, seems to be something with the yeast and the sugar.

Will make a new batch today and post results in a few days with 2nd attempt.

The OP doesn't look like mold, the mold that would form on kombucha would be fuzzy, like how bread and fruit mold looks. What you have looks like some kind of algae growth. It looks like something my Dad scrapes from his pool. It's green and slimy too.
I cannot say exactly what that is you have there, but it sounds and looks gross, and I wouldn't want to drink it.
Have you checked the pH of any of the previous bottled batch?

I think you might be right on the algae, I have a ph meter didn't check ph. I tossed the batch out starting over again tonight.

Ughh wat? Moringa is a leaf it's one of the most nutrient rich plants on earth. Moringa tea kombucha it's self works it's trying to use other medicinal herbs also.

Used more white sugar in the past got better results, seems to be something with the yeast and the sugar.

Will make a new batch today and post results in a few days with 2nd attempt.

Ah leaf, bark whatever. Nothing against you, I'm just frigging sick and tired of the pressure and sales pitches from the zija people. It's insane!

I think you might be right on the algae, I have a ph meter didn't check ph. I tossed the batch out starting over again tonight.

Well I was hoping I'd be more wrong about that. Deeply sorry for your loss.
Let us know how it goes!

Ah leaf, bark whatever. Nothing against you, I'm just frigging sick and tired of the pressure and sales pitches from the zija people. It's insane!

Well I was hoping I'd be more wrong about that. Deeply sorry for your loss.
Let us know how it goes!

Must aware me on your zija experiences, Moringa is a great crop and can be grown for pennies to maintain.

Will try another batch of kombucha tonight.

Thanks for the help guys

Back