Easy home temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoops_hops

Reaction score
Ok. So I'm pretty new. I started my brewing experience with a ton of research and reading. And the last 3 or 4 beers I've done I have been really happy with. But they still have that "homebrewy" flavor. I always ferment at room temp, we try to meep the house around 68. And I have decided based one Chris whites book Yeast and the Brew Strong podcast I listen to that in order to really refine my beer to taste how I should I must have temperature control. So here is the question:
What is an easy/cheap way to get my fermentation temperature to hold steady for atleast 72 hours. Being able to raise it and lower it when I wanted to would also be nice, but I'll take one thing at a time.

Thanks guys and gals,

Michael

Craig's List for a fridge or chest freezer, then an STC1000 off eBay to control it, and you're in the game for real...

Cheers!

This ^^^

I get my STC-1000's from Amazon ($19-20 shipped) just in case there's ever a problem with one. I currently use three of them, no issues at all. For $100 or less (depending on the fridge/freezer price), you can dial in whatever temp you wish with the touch of a few buttons.

With the house at 68*F, the temp inside the bucket/carboy can reach as high as 78*F, causing off-flavors and even a bit of fusel alcohol.

A swamp cooler is the most primitive and least expensive method. A tub large enough to hold your primary and a few inches of water. Cover the primary with an old t-shirt or towel so that it wicks (touches) the water. Direct a fan towards it or add ice to the water to control fermentation temps. The next level would be a Son Of A Fermentation Chamber. Google it and you can find plans. It may cost about $50.00 to build and you will need slight building and wiring skills. This will hold 1 primary. A Mother Of A Fermentation Chamber will hold 2 primaries for about the same cost but you will also have to cut some wood to build this one. The next level would be to get a refrigerator or freezer.

day_trippr said:
Craig's List for a fridge or chest freezer, then an STC1000 off eBay to control it, and you're in the game for real...

Cheers!

+1. $50 for a nice little freezer off Craigslist is very well spent.

My climate is dry, so I can get away with a big thick wet towel wrapped around the fermentor and pointing a fan at it. Just keep the towel wet.

The title states easy and the OP referred to easy and cheap. I fully understand that there is a perspective to each of these requests. What may be easy or cheap to one may be different to another. I don't subscribe to the "go big or go home" mentality. The least expensive method would be a swamp cooler and is better control than none at all. Sure it will require some maintenance but how hard is it to check a temperature or change some ice? A Son Of A Fermentation chamber would be the next costly and require slight building skills. I have had one in use for over a year and can maintain temperatures at 65f (+ or - 2 degrees) in my un-air conditioned garage in the heat of a Georgia summer. As for labor intensive, I open the door and swap ice once a day in the summer and once every 2 days in the cooler months. I'm going to look at the carboy that much anyway so I don't see it as labor. Lastly the more expensive of the options is a freezer. 1st you must find one that you would consider cheep and hope that it's not a piece of junk. Then you must find a way to relocate it from the sellers address to your address. If you don't have a truck or some help i would consider this labor intensive. Now you must find a place to set it up, if you live in an apartment I guess it would look ok in the living room next to the entertainment center (or not). Now you will need some basic wiring skills to set up the controller and then you are good to go. Oh, and when it's not in use you can't tuck it away in a closet so it's out of sight. Bottom line, I'm fine with my Son Of A Fermenter and I have the room and abilities to set up a freezer but I wanted the OP to have options and let him make a choice. After all he was asking for options beyond just one choice of "go big or go home".

I now use a freezer with a two stage controller with a heater and the freezer to maintain temperatures...

But for cheap and easy, my previous method was similar to the swamp cooler method described. I didn't use the tshirt, rather, a rope handle tub and filled it to the level of the beer in the carboy. I swapped out several frozen water bottles daily to keep the water temp in the high 50s to low 60s. My thought was that with the tshirt method I wouldn't have any idea what the temp was, at least this way I know what the "heat sink" temp is. I could reasonably assume that if the water temp is 58, the beer will be 68 at the absolute highest during the peak of fermentation. Over the first few days I'd keep the water temp pretty low, but let it creep up each day. My thought was the amount of heat generated would be lower each day. After 4 out 5 days I simply quit worrying about the temp, and I kegged when I got around to it.

Now that I have a more precise method, it's certainly more convenient, but it didn't really improve my beer. I'm convinced that my previous method was just fine, and it cost only a few dollars.

Easy, cheap, effective. Choose two. Lol.

Or choose a swamp cooler, which IMHO only achieves one ... being cheap. (I found it a complete PITA).

nasty_rabbit said:
A swamp cooler is the most primitive and least expensive method. A tub large enough to hold your primary and a few inches of water. Cover the primary with an old t-shirt or towel so that it wicks (touches) the water. Direct a fan towards it or add ice to the water to control fermentation temps. The next level would be a Son Of A Fermentation Chamber. Google it and you can find plans. It may cost about $50.00 to build and you will need slight building and wiring skills. This will hold 1 primary. A Mother Of A Fermentation Chamber will hold 2 primaries for about the same cost but you will also have to cut some wood to build this one. The next level would be to get a refrigerator or freezer.

I strongly recommend against the son of a fermentation chamber. The time and energy wasted on this should be diverted to a proper temp controlled fridge. Been there done that. I think $50 is a gross underestimation unless you can get stuff for free. Lets not even talk of needing to freeze plastic jugs to keep it cold. Epic fail
No offense to prior post responded who has had success with theirs, but I think you're probably the exception.

Btw do those stc1000's let you heat AND cool with one controller?

TD

Cheers!

This. Im using a mini fridge and bought a Johnson Controller but decided to go with the STC-1000. Got it on amazon for 20 bucks with free shipping with amazon prime and I am gonna go to lowes and get the rest of the parts and build it tomorrow.

I could have stayed with just the Johnson to turn the fridge on and off but the STC gives u the ability to add a heat port. I bought a real small space heater and it'll be able to allow me to increase heat as well (think diacetyl rest for lagers) and brew ales in the winter since my garage is usually just above freezing December-March.

Btw do those stc1000's let you heat AND cool with one controller?

TD

Yes. It's a dual temperature controller. You wire it into a standard 2-plug outlet that you mount in some kind of project box (either homemade or bought at Radio Shack). One (cool) outlet is for the freezer/fridge. Into the other (warm) outlet, you plug some kind of small heater and then put that heater inside the freezer.

Set the target temp (in Celsius) on the STC-1000. Set the tolerance (default is +/-0.5*C). When the temp (as read by the sensor) climbs 0.5*C above the target, it powers up the cool outlet and keeps it energized until the temp drops to the target and then turns it off. Likewise with the warm outlet if it gets 0.5*C too cool. You tape the sensor on the side of the fermenter and place some kind of insulation like bubble wrap over top of it so that it reads the bucket temp and not the air.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

Hope this helps.:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
BigFloyd said:
Yes. It's a dual temperature controller. You wire it into a standard 2-plug outlet that you mount in some kind of project box (either homemade or bought at Radio Shack). One (cool) outlet is for the freezer/fridge. Into the other (warm) outlet, you plug some kind of small heater and then put that heater inside the freezer.

Set the target temp (in Celsius) on the STC-1000. Set the tolerance (default is +/-0.5*C). When the temp (as read by the sensor) climbs 0.5*C above the target, it powers up the cool outlet and keeps it energized until the temp drops to the target and then turns it off. Likewise with the warm outlet if it gets 0.5*C too cool. You tape the sensor on the side of the fermenter and place some kind of insulation like bubble wrap over top of it so that it reads the bucket temp and not the air.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-iwFLykxs

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

Hope this helps.:mug:

Thanks!

I've got two Johnson controllers. One is analog, the other digital. The analog is chill only, and the digital can do both, but not at the same time. I was thinking about a way to increase the temp for doing Belgians or diacetyl rests.

Thanks! These STC controllers are super inexpensive!! Wish I knew about them before!

TD

Guys, the Johnson analog controller CAN do heat mode. Just pop off the cover and switch one terminal. I forget the specifics offhand, but it takes like 10 seconds. I do this all the time. E.g. After lagering, I switch to heat mode for a d-rest.

I built a Love controller for my keezer, and learned that the build parts cost real money. $20 for the 14g power cord, $5 for the female plug, etc. It can add up.

The nice thing about having a true dual controller the STC-1000 is that it will either cool or heat as needed automatically.

As far as the cost of putting one together, with the exception of spending a few bucks at Lowes for a standard wall outlet and plastic cover plate, you can likely find most of the necessary bits around the house. A spare power cord from a desktop computer works great for both power to the unit and the short bits of wire to connect it to the outlet. Both of mine that are set up with power outlets are in enclosures that I made from plastic or wood scrap.

Holy smokes! Cheap and easy? You guys may think so, but most of that stuff is pretty overwhelming for someone who wants to drop the fermentation temperature about 8 degrees.

Here's my "system":
4189-dscf0001-9589.jpg

I took off the lid, as it's hollow, and made a new lid out of 4 layers of foam insulation. The "handles" are just rope/twin so I can take the lid off and on. I have the old lid, so I can still use it as a cooler if I want.

I put the fermenter in, fill the cooler with water up to the beer line, and add a frozen water bottle. I float a thermometer in the water bath, and exchange water bottles as needed.

The cooler has wheels, and a plug, so I can wheel it over a drain to empty it.

This may not work in an extreme climate, but it will work great in an ambient temperature of 65-80 degrees or so.

I think $50 is a gross underestimation unless you can get stuff for free.

TD

Foam Pannel - $25.00
Adhesive - $3.50
Theromostat - $15.00
Power supply - old phone charger (free)
Fan - Old CPU fan (free)

Total Cost - $43.50

Just bought these items (04.01.2013) to build a "Mother"
I left out the wood because it is not needed for a "Son"

nasty_rabbit said:
Foam Pannel - $25.00
Adhesive - $3.50
Theromostat - $15.00
Power supply - old phone charger (free)
Fan - Old CPU fan (free)

Total Cost - $43.50

Just bought these items (04.01.2013) to build a "Mother"
I left out the wood because it is not needed for a "Son"

Mine cost considerably more to build.

TrickyDick said:
Mine cost considerably more to build.

I see that you are near Orlando. I'm sure that building materials have a greater cost there than rural Atlanta and I'll bet in Hawaii it would be twice what you paid. I have friends outside of Pittsburgh and they can't get over how inexpensive some prices are that I quote them.

nasty_rabbit said:
I see that you are near Orlando. I'm sure that building materials have a greater cost there than rural Atlanta and I'll bet in Hawaii it would be twice what you paid. I have friends outside of Pittsburgh and they can't get over how inexpensive some prices are that I quote them.

Actually I built it when I was in CT. Probably even cost MORE up there than FL!
I bought a washer dryer combo and got a $100 in store credit when I moved to MO and used it to buy the dorm sized ferm fridge. Just bought tires and getting a $70 cash card, which I'll probably use on more brewing equipment (want to do a corny carbonation keg for faster carbonation with stone on a long gas inlet tube) But I digress.
I had easily the cost of a mini fridge into my ferm chamber like what you built. Plus the water jugs when frozen would burst and I couldn't see but would leak all over when they melted. I ended up giving it away in trade for homebrew! Funny! My wife was home when the other homebrewer's wife made the exchange! hah! Two SWMBOs neither of whom I'm sure were thrilled to be bothered by the favor...

TD

I am using the big utility tub with rope handles filled with water and ice bottles to the beer line with Yoopers idea with the foam layers on top and I wrap the tub with a blanket and I'm hoping this will help with the high temps and humidity in phila. area
My floating thermometer stays around 68f

I made a jacket that allows me to place a 6.5 gallon fermenter inside along with ice bottles to lower temps. It costs me about $20 in sipplies to make.

I've gotten temps down to 58° with a 1 liter bottle. I can change the bottle out every 12 hours for good measure but have left it in there 24 hrs With only a 3-4° change. With fermentation activity inside, that puts me in the mid 60° range. Heres what it looks light:

View attachment 1470112783235.jpg

I made a jacket that allows me to place a 6.5 gallon fermenter inside along with ice bottles to lower temps. It costs me about $20 in sipplies to make.

I've gotten temps down to 58° with a 1 liter bottle. I can change the bottle out every 12 hours for good measure but have left it in there 24 hrs With only a 3-4° change. With fermentation activity inside, that puts me in the mid 60° range. Heres what it looks light:

this is most excellent DIY project. How much work was it? post your design process?

Holy smokes! Cheap and easy? You guys may think so, but most of that stuff is pretty overwhelming for someone who wants to drop the fermentation temperature about 8 degrees.

Here's my "system":
4189-dscf0001-9589.jpg

I took off the lid, as it's hollow, and made a new lid out of 4 layers of foam insulation. The "handles" are just rope/twin so I can take the lid off and on. I have the old lid, so I can still use it as a cooler if I want.

I put the fermenter in, fill the cooler with water up to the beer line, and add a frozen water bottle. I float a thermometer in the water bath, and exchange water bottles as needed.

The cooler has wheels, and a plug, so I can wheel it over a drain to empty it.

This may not work in an extreme climate, but it will work great in an ambient temperature of 65-80 degrees or so.

This is basically what I do when my ferm chamber (my kegerator) is full. Dropping a frozen water bottle into it when i go to work and when I get home generally keeps the temps in the mid 60s and I don't even have an insulated top like you have. I've been meaning to build one though. It really doesn't get much more simplistic I don't think.

this is most excellent DIY project. How much work was it? post your design process?

I should have kept better notes, but here's what I got. I'm going to go in the order that I made it, which was split in to 3 sections after I list the materials below. Total time was about 5 hours. That included screwing around with the sewing machine which I hadn't touched since high school, and sewing slow because of inexperience.

Materials:
  1. 1 1/3 yd. Polyester fabric for Inner lining (They sold me the extra for a discount.)
  2. 1 yd. Cotton Fabric for Outer lining
  3. 2 yds. Insulbright For Insulative Layer
  4. 48" Zipper

Note: I had left overs of all fabrics but not a ton.

Design:

1. Lid

I measured out the lid portion by measuring from the center of my lid, to the other rim. I then added an additional 2 1/4 inches to the total.

From here, I took my measurement from step 1, and "compass style" with string and a colored pencil, I drew a circle on the cotton fabric, polyester fabric, and the insulating fabric.

Cutout these circles.

I then joined all 3 fabrics, Cotton > Insulbright > Polyester, and sewed with a sewing machine.

After the top is complete, sew the top edge of the zipper along the edge of the lid. Afterwards, set aside.

2. Bottom

Repeat the steps above to create the bottom lid, of course without adding a zipper.

3. Middle Piece (24H" x 48"W)

I then moved on to the biggest piece of the fermenting jacket. I measured out a piece of cotton fabric 24 inches high by 48 inches wide and repeated this for the polyester, and Insulbright fabric. You should have 1 cotton layer, 2 Insulbright layers, and 1 polyester layer.

I joined these pieces together by sewing both layers of Insulbright between the cotton and polyester layer, along the top edge. I then repeated this along the bottom as well.

Once complete, join the two un-sewn edges and sew together. (I slightly overlapped each end.)

4. Joining the Lid and Bottom

Once all 3 pieces are complete we need to join them to the Middle Piece in Step 3. To join the lid, take the un-sewn edge of the zipper, and sew it to the top edge of the middle piece.

Sew on the bottom portion to the bottom portion, be careful to have the cotton piece facing outboard.

Voila! You should now have a complete fermenting jacket.

P.S. I apologize in advance, I kind of played it by ear and adjusted as I went so I don't have super exact numbers/processes.

I should have kept better notes, but here's what I got...

Thanks, this is pretty great! I like it!
There are similar commercial solutions for about $50-$60 but I love your DYI angle! (I made my own wort chiller and cooler mashtun and keezer etc. for this very reason):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EKD7CQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

One advantage of your solution of soft thermal fabric over Yooper's solution of cooler is that it takes very little room when not used.

Otherwise, another scaled-up solution is getting an extra freezer (~$100) with temp control (~$40) that can contain a couple of fermenters. But it takes even more space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but a freezer is soooo much more versatile. You can lager and it's totally a set and forget solution. Brew a batch and not even look at it for 3 weeks if you want.

Agree with others! I prefer the Johnson Control a419 although it's a little more expensive ($50) than the STC-1000 and you're looking for cheap. I shouldn't say "prefer", since I've never used the STC. The a419 it just what I have always used and been happy with. Temp control is a game changer. Enjoy!

Great thread revival! I think if you plan ahead (freeze 1-litre and 16 oz bottles before brewing), a swamp cooler works well. Especially with a fan on it. At my old house, the basement stayed pretty cool, but now it gets hot. Eventually, we got a new fridge, and the old one is now for projects (brewing, cheese, meat, etc.). Easier to have, but not cheaper unless you get the fridge for free.

Back