Black English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
So, the title says it all... I'd like some feedbacks on this recipe!

6gal batche

4.875kg (10.75 lb) Maris Otter 73%
400g (0.88 lb) Brown Malt 6%
400g (0.88 lb) Roasted Barley 6%
400g (0.88 lb) Flaked Barley 6%
400g (0.88 lb) Crystal 40L 6%
100g (0.22 lb) Chocolate 1.5%
100g (0.22 lb) Midnight Wheat 1.5%

1oz Columbus FWH + 60'
1oz EKG 15'
1oz EKG 5'
1oz EKG 0'
1oz Fuggles 0'
1oz Fuggles DH 5 days
1oz EKG DH 5 days

OG 1066
FG 1016
IBUs 62
SRM 36
ABV 6.5%

More hops. I like the grain bill though. I did a Black IPA over the holidays with Crystal 40, Carapils and Flaked Rye then Carafa III for color. I think the Brown Malt with the Flaked Barely might be nice. More of a toasty chocolate coffee taste I'd bet.

I used different hops, but I used 8 ounces in the boil over 90 minutes and dry hopped with 2oz for 7 days. The brew was so dark and malty the crazy amount of hops blended amazingly well. If you let it warm in the glass you could really start to smell the spicy rye and the pine in the hops. My guess is that you could easily add more hops to balance out the heavyness you'll get from the malt.

More hops. I like the grain bill though. I did a Black IPA over the holidays with Crystal 40, Carapils and Flaked Rye then Carafa III for color. I think the Brown Malt with the Flaked Barely might be nice. More of a toasty chocolate coffee taste I'd bet.

I used different hops, but I used 8 ounces in the boil over 90 minutes and dry hopped with 2oz for 7 days. The brew was so dark and malty the crazy amount of hops blended amazingly well. If you let it warm in the glass you could really start to smell the spicy rye and the pine in the hops. My guess is that you could easily add more hops to balance out the heavyness you'll get from the malt.

It's kind of a recipe I made to finish my grain and hop stock, all I have on hand is 6oz. Maybe I can find some before the DH... Anyways, I could just call it a Hopped Stout Porter instead of a Black IPA :mug:

I also think the Brown malt will give a nice taste. I also have a pound of Pale Chocolate from Fawcett... I didn't open the bag yet to taste, but I will, and maybe it can give some nice flavor too...

That looks like it'll be along the lines of a historic English porter, which were pretty hoppy. If you wanted to nudge it more toward "black IPA" territory, I would drop the brown malt and one of the dark malts and sub in some Carafa III if you still need the SRM boost. That's going to have a lot of body, for an IPA... but as a hoppy porter, it sounds quite tasty!

That looks like it'll be along the lines of a historic English porter, which were pretty hoppy. If you wanted to nudge it more toward "black IPA" territory, I would drop the brown malt and one of the dark malts and sub in some Carafa III if you still need the SRM boost. That's going to have a lot of body, for an IPA... but as a hoppy porter, it sounds quite tasty!

I would probably just call it a Old Porter then :D

Check out the 1855 East India Porter recipe on barclayperkins.blogspot.com. Will at perfectpint.blogspot says it is fantastic. I keep meaning to brew a modified version of it myself.

That much roast barley is definitely going to be up front. I'm not sure I'd call it a black IPA, but it looks tasty.

I'm pretty set on India Porter for the moment... The final recipe will be decided on the spot

Just to clarify, patto1ro is Ron Pattinson, author of the Shut Up About Barclay Perkins blog I mentioned above. If he says it's an East India Porter, it's an East India Porter. And yeah, looks tasty, my aversion to Fuggles not withstanding. What yeast did you have in mind?

Just to clarify, patto1ro is Ron Pattinson, author of the Shut Up About Barclay Perkins blog I mentioned above. If he says it's an East India Porter, it's an East India Porter. And yeah, looks tasty, my aversion to Fuggles not withstanding. What yeast did you have in mind?

That's good... I just checked out EIP recipes and the blog!

I will be using wlp023 Burton Ale :mug:

Check out the 1855 East India Porter recipe on barclayperkins.blogspot.com. Will at perfectpint.blogspot says it is fantastic. I keep meaning to brew a modified version of it myself.

Yeah, that was a great beer. I contacted pattro about it and modified it to make it my own. Did another version of it latst week. Gonna keep going until I get it just right. It's a great beer that definitely evolves and develops flavors with age.

So, since It became more a India Porter than a black IPA... here's the final recipe with some changes I made, especially on the hops, to make it more porter than IPA.

10 lbs 12oz Maris Otter 73%
14oz Crystal 40 6%
14oz Brown Malt 6%
14oz Flaked Barley 6%
7oz Pale Chocolate 3%
7oz Chocolate 3%
3.5oz Roasted Barley 1.5%
3.5oz Oats 1.5%

1oz Columbus 60'
1oz Fuggles 30'
1oz Fuggles 20'
1oz EKG 10'
1oz EKG 5'
1oz EKG DH 10days
1oz EKG DH 5days

OG 1066
FG 1017
IBUs 80
ABV 6.5

So it's brewed!!!

OMG! I think it's gonna be a delicious beer!

I changed the 3.5oz of roasted barley for an extra 3.5oz of Pale Chocolate.

We also had a really better effenciency than expected (thanks to our new (now approved) sparging technique), so it ended at 1076, so it's gonna be a BIG chocolatey, slightly toasted, hoppy porter, with some really nice character from the Burton Ale yeast, which is fermenting like crazy right now and throw out really nice fruity aroma (like pear...).

Too much roast barley. I brewed a BIPA yesterday with 4 oz in a 7 gallon batch and I'm scared it will be too much. And I WANT some roastiness to it!! I also used 9 oz of hops though. 3 oz going in the dry way.

Too much roast barley. I brewed a BIPA yesterday with 4 oz in a 7 gallon batch and I'm scared it will be too much. And I WANT some roastiness to it!! I also used 9 oz of hops though. 3 oz going in the dry way.

Please read the thread before posting, non?
There's no roast barley in the final recipe.

Latest posts

Back