Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joepez

Reaction score
Just wondering, I am using my conical fermenter for the first time, my batch starts looking clear exactly at the point were the conical shape begins and above. I think it's because of the light passing through it, but I worry the extract and water didn't mix well.

Is it just that the point below where it clears is the trub/sediment and yeast cake from the batch??

It's the point where it starts to cone in and above that it is clearer

Just relax :) if you boiled your stuff for the full amount of time it mixed just fine. You should be happy that you can even see through your conical! The stainless steel ones are completely blocked out from any sight. Give it two weeks then slowly start dumping the trub/yeast cake with the bottom release valve, its a sludge and it will come out very slow but I would still do it over a couple of days. You can wash and re-use this yeast too if you want. After you get most if not all the trub out give it another couple weeks to bulk age. Anything under 6 months ;) but I would give it 2-4 more weeks to let it bulk age and really get complex versus just doing the minimum time that the recipe calls for.

Back