opening a beer store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
has any one here looked into opening a craft beer store? Im wondering what the legal issues are involved and the cost of a liquor license any comments are appreciated.

selling, I would like to brew but Im thinking it would be cheaper to start out with a little shop selling craft beer.
-
I have looked at the state site but there is so much info there I couldnt find much pertaining to what I am looking for. I guess I should keep digging. I just thought some one here may have looked into this.

I have no info as far as legalities and what not, but don't forget that a store selling craft beer should also sell brewing supplies. ;)

One thing I have heard others mention about the state of Michigan (Besides being in a Misserable one) it is far easier to buy a place that already has a liquor licence then it is to get one.

There's not way you'd survive on selling craft beer alone. You might be a regular liquor store that specializes in carrying as much craft beer as you can get your hands on but you're going to rely on the the BMC crowd for the bread and butter.

I live in the heart of ny wine country with a large wine and culinary center right down the street, there would be educated palates at least.
-
In ny you cant sell liquor and beer in the same store.
-
I would definitely sell brewing supplies, cigars, etc.

This is actually a fairly brilliant idea. I live in NYC and there's absolutely NOWHERE, not a single place I've found local that I can pick up brew supplies.

Opening up a small Brewshop in Park Slope (the heart of craft country) would be a fantastic idea.

killian said:
-
In ny you cant sell liquor and beer in the same store.
-

When I lived in NY, I always got a kick of the liquor store RIGHT beside the beer store. They even shared the same parking lot.

I have this same ambition. I want to specialize in imports and section it off by countries. I know a license to sell only beer is a lot cheaper than to serve and the selling of hard liquor. Also you need to check because certain areas are only allowed to have a certain amount of liquor licenses. Than you can try to buy them off of other businesses that have gone out of business, and they will charge a lot, my buddy john bought his for 15,000 but it was to serve.

Liquor Licenses, in NYC are for addresses, not companies.

So if I wanted to move a bar from one side of the town to the other, I'd have to apply for a new one.

Of course, that can still be blocked (after approval!) by the community board and lead to upwards of a year long delay in opening.

(that is in NO WAY from personal experience ;) )

Originally posted by Bobby_M
There's not way you'd survive on selling craft beer alone.

This is entirely dependent on what part of the country you are located in. In Seattle we have 4 successful bottle shops that just sell craft beer and imports. Portland has no less than 3.

6 years ago I put together a business plan for a specialty beer shop called Brewtopia Beer Cellars. I shelved it when I got hired on at Vulcan. I still have the business license and will probably do something with it eventually. Right now I need to concentrate on my brewery.

I'd have to agree with Bobby that you may have a hard time selling only craft beer. You'll have a list of regular customers, but in order to get additional business you're going to have to sell BMC and hope that the folks that come in for BMC will try to occasional real beer.

Combining a beer store and a homebrew shop is a great idea.

it has to be cheaper than opening a brewery, I need a way to get started. I wanted to open a home brew supply store but Im thinking a beer store would get more business than just a home brew shop.

dont know about the rest but in AZ there are more than one type of Liquor License. The state only issues so many full blown liquor license and once they are in private hands they are bought and sold that way thats why they are so expensive the previous owner decides how much he wants for it.

Now they also have a beer and wine only license and there is not a limit to how many your can have in the state (you just cant sell vodka, gin ect) and they are only a few hundred bucks a year.

Bobby_M said:
There's not way you'd survive on selling craft beer alone. You might be a regular liquor store that specializes in carrying as much craft beer as you can get your hands on but you're going to rely on the the BMC crowd for the bread and butter.

Course there are a number of factors involved but, that's exactly what I have heard from the owner of a local tavern & bottle shop that specializes in craft/micro brews. He says that what he turns on the BMC basically subsides everything else, keeping his prices reasonable.

OP: as mentioned, your state laws are going to determine what you can do and how you need to go about it.

The brew shop here in Oregon that i go to sells both a wide variety of local wines and beers along with the supplies and that seems to work out well for them. In Oregon atleast, i can think of plenty of only craft brew stores. Then again, they carry some BMC, but not a lot.

there's a national government organization called the small business association. their website is www.sba.gov They are a fantastic place to start research into opening any business. There are branches all over the country, once you find the appropriate office based on your location, go and meet them in person to talk about your ideas. Though I have yet to move forward with a business idea, I have found that they are more than willing to take the time to talk to you regardless of what stage your planning is in. As things move forward, you'll find that they often have a knowledge of local officials and procedures and can really help you avoid problems.

Back