Munich malt replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaDana

Reaction score
So I'm looking over recipies for Baltic Porter and I have almost everything on hand. I need 7.5 lbs of munich malt ad was wondering if I can replace that with Marris Otter. Will also have lots of pis malt; crystal; roasted and caramunich. Will this work? I have 40 lbs of MO just chilling.

Lately I've been replacing most of my base malts with Fawcett Maris Otter. The beer has been great. It definately leaves a richer flavor profile, but still very clean.

An option for Munich Malt replacement can be Mild Malt. MO would probably be a bit light and missing some richer melanoidin flavors. I don't know that a Baltic really required the Munich in the first place, so subbing MO may not be that big an impact.

Well you could always do a decoction mash with the MO. That would bring more of those melanoidins back in.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I may try a decocotion. Next up is a Belgian first, then this one.

Back