beginning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

successocelot

Reaction score
so i have decided to try brewing mead. i seem to understand all the info, but i have one question. when racking, do you need to use a glass jug, or will plastic work just as well?

thats more of a personal prefrence i think glass is better because plastic will oxidize over long aging periods and that could taint your brew from what ive heard so unless you plan on drinking your brew while its young i would try to rack it to glass jugs or a glass carboy for bulk aging

You can with plastic carboys, also!

I really like my better bottles, but I don't use them for long term aging of wine or mead. I've heard that you could, but I just don't.
+1 on that Yooper.

Better bottles are "probably" fine. As they're made of PET. I've used Polycarbonate water cooler bottles as well, but only for the fermenting. Polycarbonate is very slightly air permeable, so could indeed cause oxidation over time.

Plus, I can't remember the name of the plasticiser that is the one to be avoided...

If the containers are "food or chemical" grade, then they'd probably be ok as well.

Me ? I like to stick to glass for ageing etc......

regards

fatbloke

Back