Planing to ship a keg over state lines to Madison, WI...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasontheBeaver

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2 questions for the group:

1: What are the legalities and logistics of shipping a keg filled with homebrew across state lines? Specifically from Oregon to Madison, Wisconsin? I'm sure there's no way get it on our flight.

2: If question #1 can be answered by someone satisfactorily, is there anyone here going to the OSU vs Wisconsin football game the weekend of Sept 10?

My wife and I are making the trip (flying) to Madison and would love to hook up with a Beaver-friendly tailgate that we may possibly bring a keg to and share, and maybe sample yours.
Great chance to bring the two biggest beer brewing states together for some friendly beer and football talk! :rockin: :tank:

Well don't ship USPS. That's illegal. I have shipped bottles via UPS and FedEx. Never a keg. It's against their policy and if they find out you will probably loose your keg. But you shouldn't be in legal trouble as far as I know.

Not sure what it would cost to ship. Could be significant. For that price you could probably buy a keg of some nice Wisconsin microbrew.

Not sure what it would cost to ship. Could be significant. For that price you could probably buy a keg of some nice Wisconsin microbrew.
Thanks for this response but the purpose is to garner some interstate discussion over which is the better beer state while sampling each others brews and wearing the appropriate Beaver or Badger gear before then game.

Why not take it on the plane? Just put it in a large duffel bag with padding. I'm sure the extra bag charge is way cheaper than shipping. I brought a case of beer back from Europe in my luggage no problems.

The clear answer to #1 is to find someone/a group that's driving and is willing to transport a keg (perhaps without tapping into it on the trip there).

Of course.. I'm sure that's the main reason reason why #1 was asked and the title given. :D
Any other answer based on the actual written question will just be about actual legalities of beer transport, or the interpretations thereof and therefore can only be taken with a grain of salt and at your own risk, etc etc insert legal disclamerhere, etc. Which will probably wind up otherwise answering "you can't, or can't without immense difficulty/cost."

Thanks for this response but the purpose is to garner some interstate discussion over which is the better beer state while sampling each others brews and wearing the appropriate Beaver or Badger gear before then game.

Given the other goings on in the state regarding homebrew outside of the home in Wisconsin, I'd advise you to not partake in this activity.

Given the other goings on in the state regarding homebrew outside of the home in Wisconsin, I'd advise you to not partake in this activity.

Wait, can we not bring homebrew to a tailgate party in Wisconsin? I guess this should have been question #1. I just assumed people brought their kegs to their tailgates and partied down.
Any local regular Badger game attendees care to chime in?

I am no legal expert, but my guess is that taking homebrew over state lines is almost always problematic given different states have different laws regarding alcohol sale/distribution.

you may be in a loophole because you are not shipping to someone else, but to yourself. i was in an UPS store recently and they advertise a travel "luggage" program to avoid checking bags. If would probably be worth calling them and making sure it is ok.

As for football fans, here's the local homebrew club http://www.mhtg.org/. I am sure someone is or knows someone going to the game.

Yeah, you would have to figure out if Wisconsin allows beer to be shipped in...many states won't allow it...stupid 3 tier thing. Then they might start looking at other things like serving beer outside of the home of production and so forth. We HAD friends who got married and wanted me to brew for their wedding...I was all for it until they said they were getting married in Oregon. Given the nature of my job, I would get fired if I got arrested for transporting across state lines (if it is indeed illegal) I then declined to brew. They got all pissy because "I wouldn't get caught." Since they threw a huge fit I decided we didn't even need to drive 400 miles to a wedding and pay for a hotel. Now they aren't our friends and don't get to share in my homebrew :). Anyway, the point being, think about the consequences above and beyond the immediate. I would just take it as an opportunity to try Wisconsins micro brews that you can't get in Oregon.

The clear answer to #1 is to find someone/a group that's driving and is willing to transport a keg (perhaps without tapping into it on the trip there).

Of course.. I'm sure that's the main reason reason why #1 was asked and the title given. :D

LMFAO!! I wouldn't trust my Mother with a keg of my homebrew, and she's Mormon and hasn't drank since 9 months before I was born.

But what about the poor unfortunate people in Wisconsin that don't get to drink Oregon beers? That's all I'm really thinking of. :D

That's what I think about every time I go to the liquor store and see my favorite Scotch's priced twice as high as they are in other states...the poor people who can't afford good Scotch b/c its taxed out of their price range. Sounds like a road trip to Cali :). Or the fact that no distributors are sending Jolly Pumpkin my way and I've been itching to brew a lambic with som JP dregs.

My understanding of homebrew laws in Wisconsin is that homebrew can only be consumed on the premises it was brewed on. It is probably safest to assume shipping homebrew here in any for is illegal.

Considering some of the very recent things going on with homebrew and craft brewing in Wisconsin I would appreciate it if people wouldn't do anything illegal or within the grey areas of the law in regards to homebrewing in Wisconsin. We don't need the bad press.

Back