Fermentation of tripel at full swing. When/do I add clear candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I had initially some trouble with my tripel that started at OG 1.1. Yeast stalled out. So I got me some WLP500 and 48 hours later the bucket is definitely alive.

Per some advice here, I held off adding clear candi for full krausen. Looks like I do have fermentation in that stage.

1. Should I put in 1/2lb, as recipe calls for or am I going to get nicer ABV by adding full lb?
2. How much water should I boil the 1/2lb with and for how long before I add?

I brewed a Tripel on Tuesday.

I have read a ton on when to add the sugar and there is no one answer. Some say at high krausen, some say after krausen falls. Lots of opinions.

Right now my brew is really going crazy so I plan on waiting until it slows and the krausen starts to fall.

The theory is to let the yeast eat most of the complex sugars before introducing the simple sugars.

The idea of adding the sugar after boil is this: Some yeast will go all crazy eating the complex sugars and we give them from the wort. After awhile, they get tired and start to slow down (the krausen starts to fall). By giving them simple sugars at this point, it will give them something easy to eat and wake them back up, so that they will attenuate better.

I have only used this technique and had it make a noticable difference with WYeast 3787. I added the sugar in increments. Say the recipe called for 2 lbs. I would add 1 lb once things slowed down (4 days or so). About another 4 or 5 days later, I would add the other.

You only need enough water to cover the sugar when boiling it.

Right now the fermentation does not need any help. Airlock is bubbling like crazy right now with 75F internal temperature. Going to wait just a bit more. Don't want my apartment walls to be covered with krausen :D

so if I was to do an NB tripel extract and the kit directions say to add the candi sugar to the boiling wort, should i divert and wait till after boil to add it? Just wondering because I want to do one of these soon, but want some info on whats best, so far I have done as per instructions with the exception of some dry hop addition changes for my pale ales and IPAs.

Back