chalkboard for Kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually painted the surface of mine with chalkboard paint...you could probably use the same stuff on a nice piece of fiberboard. I sanded mine down with some fine grit paper after it dried.

I actually painted the surface of mine with chalkboard paint...you could probably use the same stuff on a nice piece of fiberboard. I sanded mine down with some fine grit paper after it dried.
I painted mine also. RustOleum.com

But now after writing on it a few times I still see the faint outline of the old writing. Do you have this issue?

I used chalkboard paint as well. works perfectly

But now after writing on it a few times I still see the faint outline of the old writing. Do you have this issue?

I have not. Did you use a primer first? how many coats of chalkboard paint? have you used a damp rag to make sure all chalk is gone?

+2 on the chalkboard paint.

I made a chalkboard with the stuff

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

I have not. Did you use a primer first? how many coats of chalkboard paint? have you used a damp rag to make sure all chalk is gone?
Yes, 1, yes.

I was talking about; say I write the name of a beer....wet rag it off and I can still read it. I do use chalkboard markers and not straight chalk

414558.jpg

thats awesome.

what material did you use for the board itself?

I used a dense wood, like aok or walnut. They had 2x4ft sheets at HD and I just cut it in half. This may be a little overkill, all you need is a surface that is smooth, well at least I did. Give it a sand and wipe down before putting on the primer. I think I did 2 coats of primer and 3 of the chalkboard paint.

I made a couple for the offices at work using MDFB, Kilz (2 coats), and the Rustolium chalk board paint (4 coats). We use just regular chalk on them and have no remnants left over. We also wet-sanded with 1000 grit between coats.

This is what I did with a piece of plywood, a vibrating sander, auto primer, and rustoleum chalk board paint. I also had a vinyl overlay. Total cost was under $40.

BeerBoard1.jpg

BeerBoard.jpg

Yeah, chalkboard paint is the way to go! Just make sure that you have a smooth surface to paint. I sanded down my wood to make sure it was nice and smooth before spraying on the paint. Did 3-4 coats just to make sure everything was good.

photo.jpg

I wonder how hard it would be to make one of those restaurant menu boards that look like glass over a blackboard and then illuminated somehow.

As for the color not coming off the board, I've heard they are supposed to be allowed to cure for a couple days before use.

Back