Flooring for the "bar"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
We have a spare room that opens into the living room. Currently it houses the Kegerator and some "stuff". We plan on making it into a bar. We are leaning towards a sports bar with a lot of memorabilia (mostly football, basket ball and NASCAR).
The room is currently carpeted with a very light, almost white carpet. The plan is to tile it, but I have no clue what type of tile to use or colors. So, does anyone have advice on an inexpensive easy to clean tile fit for a "Sports bar"?

Go Pergo or some other vinyle "wood-like" flooring. Super easy to install, cheap, easy to clean, and fairly durable.

I like the laminate flooring, but try to avoid the "cheap stuff". Also, I saw at Home Depot Yesterday that they sell a carpet with NFL logos on it... Could be good, but not as easy to clean as tile/laminate. You can get them in rugs too, if you only want a small area covered.

Laminate comes in a huge variety of designs and colors. They might even have logos now , I'm not sure.

I've laid a lot of pergo/laminate flooring and the new click'n'lock stuff is wonderful. So much easier than the old tongue/groove/glue mess. Have you ever tiled before? I hadn't and just finished about 700 sq/ft and it was a b*tch! Rip up linoleum, level floor, mortar, lay tile, wait, grout, clean grout (the worst part), wait, remove haze and buff tiles, seal grout, ugh...

It looks great but if I had to do it over again I'd go with a textured laminate. I just figured with water in the kitchen the laminate might get really slippery if wet. You can find colored checkerboard laminate tiles and probably some with team logos as well.

Are you ever planning on leaving your current home? If so, you can't go wrong with a nice wood laminate and preserve your resale value. Floor will be classy and you can add the sports bar theme with other decor.

Thanks all. I have done some minimal tile work (bathroom) but the wood laminate sounds great. Many years ago I layed some laminate tiles in an office which wasn't to bad, but the new click and lock stuff looks great. The room is only about 150sqft, so not to big. I really like the pergo reclaimed barnwood look for a bar floor. Of course, I will have to get SWMBO input.

I used the glue together laminate in our kitchen years ago and it was not bad. Not sure why everone hates it. The glue was waterproof and has worked pretty well for abotu 10 years now. It has started to separate in one place where the dogs water dish sits, but that is my fault for doing somehting stupid like letting dog slobber sit on it for years.

FYI - If you go laminate, understand that major water spills can ruin your floor. It can soak into the pieces and separate the layers. Also, if you are on a concrete floor, make sure to get ones that can tolerate it. The moisture can seep into the backing material and warp the panels.

They have a commercial grade stuff out now that looks pretty nice and supposed to be even tougher than the residential stuff. More expensive too, but looked interesting to me.

Back