Is 5 oz of Hops in a Saison too Much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHahn

Reaction score
I am brewing a saison right now. Trying to figure out my hop schedule. The original plan was:

1 oz Hallertau (4.7%) @ 60
1 oz Styrian Golding & 1 oz Czech Saaz @ 15
1 oz Styrian & 1 oz Saaz @ 2ish

Do you think that is too much hops for the beer. Should I cut back on some of the late additions?

4.5# - 2 row
1# - wheat malt
1# - munich
2# - Pilsen DME
1# - turbinado sugar during fermentation

wyeast 3711

Saisons are a joy to brew because they are such a freeform style that even the "yapping lapdogs of style appropriateness" (in Randy Mosher's immortal prose) can't tell you you're wrong. So no, 5 oz isn't too much, especially when you're talking about hops with AA% all below 5.

I have a saison on tap that uses the same amount of hops in a similar fashion. All Hallertau. To me they seem to be a very mild hop even in those amounts. The yeast character may also be a player in my perception. Is it spicy/fruit of the yeast or the hops? In any event, you are fine.

I hop my saisons with lots of low AA hops. For a recent 12 gal batch I used 11oz of hops which was about 30ibus calculated. This was a brett and lacto saison so if it's a just brett version I tend to hop even higher. I've been using serebrianka from hops direct a lot in my saisons.

Check out Jester King brewery in Austin, TX. They use a farmhouse yeast and loads of noble hops. And their beer is awesome. DO IT!

Back