MyPin T4A Probe Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBiermann

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I finally finished cobbling together my RIMS only to find out that my temperature probe isn't reading correctly. It is the probe that came with the MyPin T4A temperature controller, it says "k" on the tag so I'm assuming it a type k probe but it only has two connection leads, not three. It seems to read fairly accurately until I hit about 100f (I threw the probe in my HLB as I was heating water to test it) then seems to lag about ten degrees behind, according to my sight glass thermometers, until it reaches about 130f and then refuses to climb higher.

So my question is this, is there something wrong with the probe? The connections? Is the T4A just a ****ty temp controller? I finished my first brew by just plugging my element into a switched socket and turning it off and on manually, so that was frustrating/anticlimactic. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Josh

BrewSetup1.jpg

Hi Josh. It seems that you hake a type K thermocouple if it only has two wires. Thermocouples work based on a voltage created by a welded junction of two dissimilar metals. When the temperature changes, the voltage created at that junction will also change. On the mypin TA4, the thermocouple (TC) needs to be attached to terminals 7 and 8 where 7 is the negative terminal and 8 is the positive terminal. Polarity matters here. Then you will need to go through the parameters setup and tell the Mypin that you are using a type k TC. After that, you should be good to go.

In addition to the above, the cable on the cheap thermocouple probes cannot be submersed in water.
If you let the probe dry out for several days it will probably read accurately.

You can also use the PT100/RTD type probes with the myPin TA4 PID. These don't have the issues with connections and splicing wires like K type thermocouples.

Thanks for the replies, guessing my problem must come from dropping the whole probe right into the mash. Ordered an PT100 probe which should be here soon, hopefully will correct the problem. It has three leads though and the TA4, as far as I can tell, only has two connection ports (7&8?), what to do with the third wire? Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Josh

JBiermann said:
Thanks for the replies, guessing my problem must come from dropping the whole probe right into the mash. Ordered an PT100 probe which should be here soon, hopefully will correct the problem. It has three leads though and the TA4, as far as I can tell, only has two connection ports (7&8?), what to do with the third wire? Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Josh

Actually, for the Pt100 probe, you will use terminals 7-10. I just don't have the time to figure out what color wires go to what terminal. I'll include the link to the thread here on HBT that includes the manual for the TA4.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/mypin-ta4-user-manual-345412/

another thing.. try reversing the wires. K type will read somewhat ok at room temp'ish and totally wig out when going up or down.

I have a few pairs here that the colour is wrong on the wires. so it seems to be not so uncommon.

Yeah reflux, that's exactly what is happening. Accurate at room temp and up to a little over 100 f but then wont keep up to the temp change and even goes back down. Refuses to register anything over 130f. Strange stuff. Hope the pt100 fixes the issue. Does anyone have any advice for ta4 setup parameters or whether I should run an auto-tune (and how to do that?)

thanks again

josh

Well Eureka, seems the new probe has fixed the issue. Now if I can only get an efficient auto - tune out of this PID

brewRIMs.jpg

Latest posts

Back