Centennial "Type" hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggybrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone used these from Hopunion? I got them from Northern Brewer. think they are a blend of Centennials, Columbus and cascade.

Ive used them In three batches of APA, and really engoyed them. Anyone else?

Just ordered a lb of 'C type' hops from farmhouse brewing supply, hope theyre good! Supposed to be a blend of cascade and columbus, trying to replicate centennial.

Got these with my dead ringer kit from NB. They definitely don't have that citrusy zing you get from centennial but they are close. They made a good beer for me. I'd use them again.

I think I'll pick up a pound this week. I only live five minutes from Northern Brewer in Minneapolis. I've only been buying them by the oz.

I just did 2 ruination clones, one with real centennials and the other with the centennial type. I am kegging both of them this weekend. The fermenter samples tasted very different to me. The centennial type had a more puckering citrus flavor and was slightly more bitter. Not bad though.

Centennial type is a 70/30 cascade/columbus blend from what I've heard. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever packages it changes it up based on sensory evaluations of that year's crops, though.

Both kegs have long since kicked. But, from my notes:

The real centennials stayed truer to what the bag of pellets smelled like.
Fresh, bright, and citrusy. The keg stayed really fresh longer than the types.

About 3 weeks into the "type" keg you could taste some dank hop taste. It lost a lot of it's flavor compared to the real deal at about a month and you would get a firm bitterness with a hint of what they smelled like going into the kettle.

If centennials were out again I wouldn't hesitate to pick these up as a sub. They
don't make the same beer but a close approximation. But, you guys probably already knew this.

My recipes for reference

15lbs 2row
1lb C20

2oz magnum - 60min
1oz centennial - 30min
1oz centennial - 15min
1oz centennial - 5 min
1oz centennial - 0min, whirlpool 20min

2oz centennial dryhop (10days)

Same qtys with the "types".

Interesting to know,although Im a bit disapointed I got these"type" instead,I do still like those hops used in it. Surprised they didnt make a Amarillo "type", they shure do cost more though now.:mad:

Centennial type is a 70/30 cascade/columbus blend from what I've heard. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever packages it changes it up based on sensory evaluations of that year's crops, though.

The 70/30 part of this is correct from what I understand. I've had a lot of a certain locally brewed IPA that calls for nearly all centennial in the recipe. At one point a few years back (before C-type hops were on the market)I noticed a significant taste difference from what I was used to so I asked the brewers about it. Come to find out, when the centennial runs out they start blending cascade/CTZ at a 70/30 rate. For me, I perceive a soapy quality to cascade hops. . . and I don't care much for it.

Back