15 Gallon Fermenter Table Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any reason you couldn't figure up a screw on tube to the bottom for filling kegs? have it attach like your yeast catcher, but fill a keg from the bottom? Slip it in the keg, slide the keg under, screw on tube, open valve, fill keg? I'd draw something up of what i'm envisioning, but I don't feel like playing with MSPaint today >.>

FireBrew63 said:
SDB, built my mounting shelf and racking arm last Thursday, perfect height for kegging. Brewed a dunkelweizen Friday and pumped it right into the conical. So awesome! No lifting! I took pics, but am working a 48 hr shift this weekend, so I'll post them tomorrow. Going to stop at lowes on the way home and get the pieces for the yeast catcher as well. I will definitely get another one of these, but the full drain model like you have.

Brew On:)
The yeast catcher holds about 1Qt so I'm assuming I will only need to dump twice!

JKalpowsky said:
any reason you couldn't figure up a screw on tube to the bottom for filling kegs? have it attach like your yeast catcher, but fill a keg from the bottom? Slip it in the keg, slide the keg under, screw on tube, open valve, fill keg? I'd draw something up of what i'm envisioning, but I don't feel like playing with MSPaint today >.>

Yup, my whole intention was to fill the keg from the bottom! I'm trying to perfect getting most of the junk (yeast/scrub) out first before it ends up in my brew :)
Cheers

I decided to wait until I can score some SS FNPT 1" valves before I build the yeast catcher, but here's the current set up:

100_3328.jpg

These are awesome. How are you finding them to hold up to cleanup? Not scratching easily or anything from a carboybrush or are you using some other method to clean?

Bumped for reference on where to source those tanks too

FireBrew63 said:
I decided to wait until I can score some SS FNPT 1" valves before I build the yeast catcher, but here's the current set up:

I have my 1" SS valves I might look to sale!!!
Your setup looks great, sweet and simple:) brew on!!

Pittbrewer said:
These are awesome. How are you finding them to hold up to cleanup? Not scratching easily or anything from a carboybrush or are you using some other method to clean?

Bumped for reference on where to source those tanks too

I just pour some water in to flush the remaining junk out swish around with my hand and drain:) then I add more lightly soapy, real light, water clean around the inside with my hand splashing up under the collar! After I drain that out I flush with clean water making sure I get the residue out!!! When I sterilize I do the same thing, pour water/iodophor mix into vessel and splash around making sure I cover everything, use a spray bottle to spray lid and lid collar and wah-la done!

My basement holds great fermenting temps :)

AWESOME build. I like the innovative yeast catcher.....seems like a winner!

Be wary of thinking that the ambient air temp is enough to control liquid ferm temps. The biological activity of the yeast generates heat, which can take you several degrees out of range.....especially when you're dealing with large volumes!

You could very easily drop a coil of copper tubing in the top of each one (basically an immersion chiller) and just have a minifridge with a temp controlled submersible pump and water/glycol reservoir. Might cost a bit more, but it's a project you can build towards in bits and pieces....plus it'd probably all fit under the table!:mug:

ScubaSteve said:
AWESOME build. I like the innovative yeast catcher.....seems like a winner!

Be wary of thinking that the ambient air temp is enough to control liquid ferm temps. The biological activity of the yeast generates heat, which can take you several degrees out of range.....especially when you're dealing with large volumes!

You could very easily drop a coil of copper tubing in the top of each one (basically an immersion chiller) and just have a minifridge with a temp controlled submersible pump and water/glycol reservoir. Might cost a bit more, but it's a project you can build towards in bits and pieces....plus it'd probably all fit under the table!:mug:

I like that idea:)

HBJ said:
That is a fantastic build (and beautiful dogs, all of them)! I just got my plastic conical from here http://www.spraysmarter.com/public/buy/details/default.aspx?ID=105. The problem I'm having is finding parts for the bottom valve. I've been to the two large chains in the area and haven't had any luck reducing from the 2" female to any size or material. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

Did u try eBay or amazon?
Here's one but price is steep:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JQJRJW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a follow-up on the copper coil glycol chiller idea-- you would need to use a SS coil actually, as the literature states that copper being utilized post boil should not be done.

Great project! What kind of sealant did you use to assemble your yeast catcher?

Just as a follow-up on the copper coil glycol chiller idea-- you would need to use a SS coil actually, as the literature states that copper being utilized post boil should not be done.

Great project! What kind of sealant did you use to assemble your yeast catcher?

Typical pvc primer/cement!! Bought from Lowe's, all of the pvc cement was for portable water use:mug:

Gotcha; there are no issues with that being used for food purposes? (Honest question, I have no experience with the stuff).

cyberbackpacker said:
Gotcha; there are no issues with that being used for food purposes? (Honest question, I have no experience with the stuff).

Damn I hope it's good for food purposes :-/ I could only guess if it's for portable water and it doesn't say toxic it maybe all-right to use! I'll do some reading on the cement when I make it home!

Like I said, I don't know... the only time I used PVC cement has been for sprinkler systems and the only pvc plumbing in my house is for sewage. But again, that is my limited experience. I think it is a great idea, just wondering before I use it myself!

hmmm, good question. around here, PVC is ONLY allowed for draining junk into your sewer.

Excellent! I am glad it is working out for you, and sediment free racking is great! How many times have you found yourself needing to empty the yeast/scrub; additionally about how much volume did you scrub?

Thanks again.

:mug:

I take it off to clean once after fermentation. When I rack to keg I close valve to yeast catcher and rack!! So the catcher gets filled twice but taken off once during entire process. Of course it gets taken off to clean:). I brew 10 gallon batches. Right now I have a 15 gallon batch fermenting, I'll let you know if it's the same with a larger batch amount.

I just kegged my first batch from this set up and I am sold! I did a honey dunkelweizen for 3 weeks, dumping trub at week one and again a week 2. I got very little trub, maybe 1 cup, when I pulled a pre keg gravity. Next step- yeast catcher like yours. Then a SS coil inside for cold crashing w/ glycol. Now to get that thing filled back up!
Cheers

FireBrew63 said:
I just kegged my first batch from this set up and I am sold! I did a honey dunkelweizen for 3 weeks, dumping trub at week one and again a week 2. I got very little trub, maybe 1 cup, when I pulled a pre keg gravity. Next step- yeast catcher like yours. Then a SS coil inside for cold crashing w/ glycol. Now to get that thing filled back up!
Cheers

Let me know how you build that chiller :)

This is pretty sweet, I'll have to do some further investigation.

Not that I have room for any of it... :(

That is a fantastic build (and beautiful dogs, all of them)! I just got my plastic conical from here http://www.spraysmarter.com/public/buy/details/default.aspx?ID=105. The problem I'm having is finding parts for the bottom valve. I've been to the two large chains in the area and haven't had any luck reducing from the 2" female to any size or material. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

If you looking i have the ability to get some SS valves/fittings.

I have the same conical with a ball valve, I wouldn't go that route again. For a very similar if not cheaper price I would put tri-clamp (npt to tri) out the bottom, then a tri-clamp butterfly valve. This mimics the ball valve in a whole lot more sanitary manner (i'm not a big fan of whatever grows in that ball). For yeast and trub collection I would just add a sight glass with an end cap. Now you can see when to dump the trub/yeast!

I plan on changing out my ball valve for this setup sometime soon.

I have the same conical with a ball valve, I wouldn't go that route again. For a very similar if not cheaper price I would put tri-clamp (npt to tri) out the bottom, then a tri-clamp butterfly valve. This mimics the ball valve in a whole lot more sanitary manner (i'm not a big fan of whatever grows in that ball). For yeast and trub collection I would just add a sight glass with an end cap. Now you can see when to dump the trub/yeast!

I plan on changing out my ball valve for this setup sometime soon.

I've got one with tri-clamps and butterfly valve. I really like it, but I need a collector. Great thought on the sight glass, but you'll need a 2" size and those are $155. I'm thinking the PVC collector here isn't quite that high dollar.

Back