American IPA Competition at Deland Craft Beer Fest, February 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogguruami

Reaction score
ATTENTION HOMEBREWERS…

Think you brew the best American IPA out there? Prove it!

The Second Annual Deland Craft Beer Fest, being held the end of February 2011, is searching for the Best American IPA that the homebrewing community can whip up!

The Second Annual Deland Craft Beer Fest will hold a homebrewer’s competition like no other.

We know homebrewers love their IPA’s so we are looking for your most creative expression of an American IPA. BJCP Guidelines will not be used as judging criteria. We have only one guideline for you to follow. The average Craft Beer drinker and IPA lover should be able to recognize your brew as an American IPA. Single, Double, Imperial, Dry-Hopped, Wet-Hopped, Black, Red, Purple, All are fair game. Pull out all the stops and wow us with your hoppy elixir.

All entries will be judged by a panel of beer judges and industry professionals in addition to a panel of local consumers. They will take your offerings for a spin and tell us which one they think is the Ultimate American IPA.

Entry Deadline: January 21, 2011

Entry Guidelines: Six 12-ounce bottles with approved label attached (labels will be available at drop off locations), No entry fee

Entry Drop Off Times and Locations:
Sunday, December 26, 2010, 4:30pm, VCHBG Meeting at Abbey Bar in Deland

Saturday, January 15, 2011, 7pm, Red Light Red Light in Orlando

Friday, January 21, 2011, 6pm, Abbey Bar in Deland

Additional drop off arrangements can be made by contacting Ann-Marie Bays at 386-215-1533 or [email protected]

We have added an additional dropoff time and location:

Entry Drop Off Times and Locations:
Sunday, December 26, 2010, 4:30pm to 6:30pm, VCHBG Meeting at Abbey Bar in Deland
Friday, January 14, 2011, 7pm to 9pm, McK’s Tavern in Daytona
Saturday, January 15, 2011, 6pm to 7pm, Red Light Red Light in Orlando
Friday, January 21, 2011, 6pm to 8pm, Abbey Bar in Deland
Additional drop off arrangements can be made by contacting Ann-Marie Bays at 386-215-1533 or [email protected]

The judges for the IPA Competition being held at the Deland Craft Beer Fest are as follows:
1. Mike Wallace, Rep for Terrapin
2. Todd, Owner of Norville Barnes
3. Tom Moench, Head Brewer of OBP and TCP
4. Ann-Marie, Homebrewer (that's me)
5. Bob Gordash, Head Brewer of Holy Mackrel
6. Jim Ritchart, Southern Brew News (still confirming this one)
7. Mufasa (Michael Ferguson), Head Brewer of BJs Brew House (Vinnie Morissey, distributor for S.R. Perrot as back up)
8. Head Brewer for Lazy Magnolia (unconfirmed)
9. Spike (Brian Buckowski), Brew Master of Terrapin (unconfirmed)

I wish I could be one of the judges...anyway, I'll be there to enjoy all the other beers

Wish I could've entered, I'm really confident in my IPA but I just couldn't bring myself to letting them sit that long before the competition. Too risky in terms of freshness and bottle conditioning for me.

Back