Contaminated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lash night, whilst cooling my fist batch of wort, (5 gallons) something awful happened. I do not have a wort chiller, but there was snow outside. So we put it outside to cool. I later came to check the temperature, (140-150 F), and the snow I had put on top of the lid was of course melted. Because of the vacuum effect, when I lifted the lid it was a little less than graceful, I spilled to water into the wort. Along with a couple leaves... I immediately fished out the leaves with a sanitized spoon, and continued with the process.
Is my beer contaminated? Should I just toss it and make a new wort?

I would say let it go through and dont toss it until you know for sure that you have a contamination. It's not worth tossing the entire batch for a "potential" contamination. With out knowing absolutely, there's no harm in letting the yeast do their thing.

Bad smells, weird looking hairs on it, if it looks kind of icky on top and it isnt the krausen. Look around the forum for pictures of true contamination. There's a thread floating around somewhere about what "true" unintentional contamination looks like.

It is fairly difficult to contaminate your batch of beer. Beer has been mad for thousands of years without any kind of sanitation. The cold weather outside makes it unlikely that a large colony of infectious organisms made it into your beer. Also if any infectious organism did make it in then the ultra high yeast population you pitched (relative to the amount of infectious organisms in your beer) will most likely beat out those organsims

Bigjuicy's right, if it were summer and warm, I'd be really worried. Being it's winter and cold enough for snow on the ground, it's pretty hard for bacteria or wild yeast to be present in the snow melt to cause a problem. Just watch it ferment and give it plenty of time, 3 weeks or so before you mess with it.

Back