Centennial/Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bendbiker

Reaction score
Do you think Centennail and Amarillo could go well together? I was thinking of modifying Bells Two Hearted to include some Amarillo which I have en masse. I think it could be good, no?

What do you think? I have limited experience with IPA compared to a lot of you and would love some advice. I would like to keep it around the same IBU range that isn't too crazy (I think it's like 55)...

:mug:

For what it's worth, I recently made an APA with Centennial and Amarillo that turned out fantastic. I think it's a great combination.

OK so here is my plan:

OG-1.057
FG-1.013
IBU-57
ABV-5.7%

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 lbs Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt

*mash at 65C

1.0 oz Centennial 60 min 33 IBU
0.5 oz Centennial (15 min) 8.2 IBU
0.5 oz Amarillo (15 min) 7.1 IBU
0.5 oz Centennial (5 min) 3.1 IBU
0.5 oz Amarillo (5min) 2.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial (1 min) 1.4 IBU
1.0 oz Amarillo for (1 min) 1.2 IBU

dry hop 0.5 oz each amarillo and Centennial in secondary.

Use US-05 yeast

I hope this will be very tasty. I'm teaching my friends to brew this coming weekend so I hope they will like it. :mug::ban::mug::tank:

what do you think?? Should I divide up the 60 min addition with amarillo too? I have to buy centennial whereas I have Amarillo en masse at home in the freezer...

I have found that amarillo has a very smooth bitterness to it. Not so much of a bite. I thoroughly enjoy this quality. Maybe .5 oz centennial and .5 oz Amarillo at 60 mins.

I think your recipe looks good. I've done that combination before.

I just split a purchase of a pound of Amarillo with a friend of mine and I'm planning an IPA using the 8 ounces of Amarillo exclusively.

The numbers came out in the actual brew more like:

OG-1.057

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 lbs Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt

*mash at 65C

1.0 oz Centennial 60 min 33 IBU
0.5 oz Centennial (15 min) 8.2 IBU
0.5 oz Amarillo (15 min) 7.1 IBU
0.5 oz Centennial (5 min) 3.1 IBU
0.5 oz Amarillo (5min) 2.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial (1 min) 1.4 IBU
1.0 oz Amarillo for (1 min) 1.2 IBU

dry hop 0.5 oz each amarillo and Centennial in secondary.

Despite the near self-destruction of my cooler mash tun, the wort turned out ok and I think this'll be a tasty beer.:tank::mug:

My favorite pale ale recipe uses Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial. It's always a crowd pleaser.

Can you dry hop with Simcoe?? I've never tried that hop before but I heard it is quite good. Maybe I can throw some in with the dry hop?

I currently have a session APA in primary with these 2 hops. Very simple hop bill and grain bill. Wish I had it tapped so I could let you know how it is.

My first time using nottingham also. Hope that could bring something different to the table. Mostly have been using S-05 for my pales.

Boulder Beer uses Centennial and Amarillo exclusively in their Mojo IPA, one of my favorites on the market.

Sweetwater dry hops their IPA with Simcoe and US Goldings. They use Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus, and US Goldings in the boil. IMO its one of the best all around examples, aroma is funky as can be.

Back