Man Cave under Construction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
After just a frame and unsanded top piece of wood for about 2 years the construction has started again and we have a completion date. It might be a lofty one, but I hope to have this done in time for the Super Bowl.

here are a few pics. The top is trimmed and halfway sanded. Had to stop to make dinner.

Enjoy.

bar1.jpg

bar2.jpg

and here are the man caves namesake. Mr. Cock's. Long story.

bar4.jpg

bar3.jpg

I hope to finish sanding the top tonight and get a first coat of stain on it. Normally I go with golden oak, but I think for the man cave I will go with the Red Oak stain. A bit darker and more manly.

I can't wait until I have a basement to build something like this in. It'll be a long while until that happens so I'll just live vicariously through you!

Looks good.

All of you talk of man caves, yet these all look pretty civilized. I ought to post pictures of mine.

It really is like a cave! Dark, stone walls, dirt floors and lots of spiders! The kegerator is the only civilized thing down there. ;)

looking good/ But why not turn the fridge around. The door opening is blocked by the bar.

Edit, Eye's playing tricks on me. I see it now
Nice bar

Looks good.

All of you talk of man caves, yet these all look pretty civilized. I ought to post pictures of mine.

It really is like a cave! Dark, stone walls, dirt floors and lots of spiders! The kegerator is the only civilized thing down there. ;)

Sounds just like mine! :)

Last night I got back at it for a short time. No pic to post here at work, but I finished sanding with the 150 then hit the whole top with 220 and wiped it down with a tack cloth.

I decided to use the Minwax Red Oak stain for a darker color. Pic to follow when I get home.

This weekend I plan on sanding the front and front trim pieces and staining them as well as doing the conversion on the sanyo and Hopefully (crosses fingers) hook up the tower.

Nice set up. All of you with basements are lucky, my cave is my shed. :(

All of you people with basements OR sheds OR garages OR backyards OR front yards OR porches are lucky. My cave is my tiny kitchen because I live in a NYC apartment. :mad:

Did I mention TINY? the area I have to maneuver is 4 x 3.5 ft. The keezer takes up literally half of the free floor space in the kitchen.

Apartments suck.

I can't wait to buy a house.

Keep up the good work!

+1 on Apartments suck. I actually have to be jealous of the guy with the shed. My man cave is my upstairs computer room. Not only is storing beer up there out of the question, it regularly gets invaded by SWMBO when she wants to use the computer. :(

Ok. Got a bit more work done today.

Now, the funds allocated for bar construction already ran high, sooooooo, i still need to pick up some oak plywood to do the sides of the bar, you will notice they are lacking wood, and I have yet to cut the counter tops.

DSC00545.jpg

Here is the beauty that will be attached to the top of the bar. Yes, those are forward facing perlicks.
DSC00541.jpg

And here is a little project I have been meaning to start for some time and decided to do it while I wait for stain to dry. A fly sparge arm.
DSC00542.jpg

and the bottom of it with drilled holes.

DSC00543.jpg

Today I also removed the annoying door liner of my sanyo 4912 and scored some lines on the top where I will be drilling the hole.

Hopefully more to come soon as this needs to be mostly done by the superbowl in 7 days.

No pics to post right now, but I have half of the decorative trim up on the front the other half is stained and drying and two coats of poly on the to top.

I will be cutting it close. I do not think it will be done by the super bowl but it will be functional by then. Pics to follow tomorrow.

No pics to post right now, but I have half of the decorative trim up on the front the other half is stained and drying and two coats of poly on the to top.

I will be cutting it close. I do not think it will be done by the super bowl but it will be functional by then. Pics to follow tomorrow.

Very Good Show! (golf claps)

Lookin Great...I too can't wait till we move back east and get a house with a basement...then I can ESCAPE :tank:

So do tell...tomorrow is SuperBowl Sunday and my Cards are there...are you ready???

Kug

No kidding, I have people showing up in 1.5 hours and I am just loading these pics because I JUST finished.

Enjoy.

Notice the pickled eggs! shazaam!
DSC00547.jpg

and a close up of my Ritcheous Hous Pale Ale poured from the perlicks

DSC00548.jpg

Still some work to do down there but it is certainly functional for the game today. GO CARDS!

Looks really great, I'm turning green with envy.
Nothing like a solid dead line to motivate you on a project, hope you had a great time to enjoy the fruits of you hard work.

looks awesome!

i am starting to build a bar with similar ideas in mind. Quick question though, how are you keeping your lines cool in your tower? It looks like your kegerator doesn't sit flush with your counter top making a gap between the tower and the kegerator. I would love to see a photo of that.

Im glad you asked.

I did not take a pic of it and it would require me to take the tower off at this point to do so so you will have to use your imagination here:

I took a piece of 2 1/2" pvc pipe, as the hole in the fridge and bar top was 2 1/2", and placed inside of it copper pipe. the copper I had was 3/4", perfect for sliding beer line inside of that. The PVC sat flush with the inner side of the fridge where the hole was and almost to the top of the tower where the lines came out of the shank. Inside the PVC i placed the copper and had it stick out on the bottom or fridge side of the PVC about 2.5 inches. This is to get some direct contact of cold air on the copper in the hopes it would conduct cool air up the lines that were inside of the copper. it worked! in order to seat the copper inside the PVC I used the expanding foam and filled that bad boy up, let it sit and bang, seated copper tubes.
I then used some cheap "L" shaped braces that come with cheap blinds and screwed them to the PVC so that they would rest on the top of the fridge between it and the bar top.
All around the opening where the PVC meets the interior of the fridge i put some expandable foam to keep the cold air in.

So far it works great!

Im glad you asked.

I did not take a pic of it and it would require me to take the tower off at this point to do so so you will have to use your imagination here:

I took a piece of 2 1/2" pvc pipe, as the hole in the fridge and bar top was 2 1/2", and placed inside of it copper pipe. the copper I had was 3/4", perfect for sliding beer line inside of that. The PVC sat flush with the inner side of the fridge where the hole was and almost to the top of the tower where the lines came out of the shank. Inside the PVC i placed the copper and had it stick out on the bottom or fridge side of the PVC about 2.5 inches. This is to get some direct contact of cold air on the copper in the hopes it would conduct cool air up the lines that were inside of the copper. it worked! in order to seat the copper inside the PVC I used the expanding foam and filled that bad boy up, let it sit and bang, seated copper tubes.
I then used some cheap "L" shaped braces that come with cheap blinds and screwed them to the PVC so that they would rest on the top of the fridge between it and the bar top.
All around the opening where the PVC meets the interior of the fridge i put some expandable foam to keep the cold air in.

So far it works great!

thanks for the reply,

That's awesome! I will surely be taking note of using the copper and pvc, that's a whole lot cheaper then buying a fan.

I used copper and water pipe foam tubes to fill the space around the copper pipe. Works great. Thanks to the idea on this site.
I have a lot more copper mass in the fridge than in the tower to make sure there is a good heat transfer taking place.
The only issue is that I should have put the tower 1 inch back from center to accomodate the pipe and the kegs without a little forcing as the pipe get's in the way of the kegs from fitting all the way in to the hump. So they lean a little bit.

Latest posts

Back