Adding a second yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Brewed the Brewer's Best German Altbier kit yesterday. I was worried from the beginning that the kit was old (bought the kit from a shop that I had never been to before and it was obvious they didn't care too much about the hobby), and I was worried that the yeast might have been too old (noticed the dust on top of the box when I got out to my car).

Because of my worrying today, no activity in the airlock, and the fact that I happened to be in the area of Keystone Homebrew shop, I picked up a Wyeast German Ale smack-pack. Well an hour ago, the airlock started bubbling slowly and my worries have subsided, but now that I have the extra yeast...would it change anything if I added it? The yeast that came with the kit didn't say which strain it was, simply: "Munton's Dried Active Brewing Yeast." Would there be any benefits from adding the German Ale yeast, what about downsides? Will it any difference at all?

Brewed the Brewer's Best German Altbier kit yesterday. I was worried from the beginning that the kit was old (bought the kit from a shop that I had never been to before and it was obvious they didn't care too much about the hobby), and I was worried that the yeast might have been too old (noticed the dust on top of the box when I got out to my car).

Because of my worrying today, no activity in the airlock, and the fact that I happened to be in the area of Keystone Homebrew shop, I picked up a Wyeast German Ale smack-pack. Well an hour ago, the airlock started bubbling slowly and my worries have subsided, but now that I have the extra yeast...would it change anything if I added it? The yeast that came with the kit didn't say which strain it was, simply: "Munton's Dried Active Brewing Yeast." Would there be any benefits from adding the German Ale yeast, what about downsides? Will it any difference at all?

Since the Munton's is going, I think pitching the expensive liquid yeast would be a waste. I'd stick the Wyeast in the fridge, and make another brew soon that could use that nice smack-pack.

Back