Brewing as a Career

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmith

Reaction score
Howdy all! I live in Seattle and after 7 years of home all-graining and chefing in several kitchens I Must make beer my Career! How in the heck do you break into this industry. My search has just begun and I'm new to this site so any suggestions/connections are mucho appreciated. I have a B.A. in Food History [specialty in brewing] so I love questions/discussions:mug:

+1, Senor.

However, as one of the resident pros (former, in my case, though I consult), I can advise what lapaglia wrote. Go bug someone until they hire you. The best way to learn is through an old-fashioned apprenticeship.

Visit sites like ProBrewer and browse the classified adverts.

Good luck!

Bob

A question asked many times. Always remember Master Brewers make about $15 an hour and it's normally a TON of tedious manual labor.

MOST brewers make $7 an hour

If you are lucky, hard-working, and career-oriented enough to work your way into a head brewer or brewmaster position, you could realistically start anywhere from $9 to $14 an hour

Actually, the way to make money at this is to set up a 'brewing school' for burnt-out misguided professionals who dream of having their own business, etc. etc. Separate these suckers from some cash in exchange for 'training' that they will need to 'start their own business' or 'enter a new career'.

Back