Peanut Butter Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonel_colon

Reaction score
Looking for a good brown porter recipe that would work well with peanut butter.

I was thinking of the following:
5lbs. pale liquid malt
1lbs. crystal 60L
8oz. black malt
4oz. roasted barley
10oz. chocolate malt
2oz Fuggles
6oz. Peanut Butter

I talked to my LHBS and he mentioned a friend that used 1lbs. of peanut butter. I can only imagine what that would do.
So any thoughts or alternative recipes that would work well with peanut butter?

Correct me if I am wrong, but adding nuts to beer has been labeled A Bad Idea because of the oil in the nuts.

I might be wrong here, but this is what I recall reading/hearing.

-walker

just use peanut oil...(that sounds nasty though). or Maybe you could dry-hop with roasted nuts.

im pretty sure peanut butter is just peanuts crushed untill the oil is released, then add salt...

I'm adding straight peanut butter, it is that natural kind with no staples or even salt added.
I dumped as much as the oil as possible and then I left it inverted with cheese cloth to further drain out the oil. I have had it for 3 weeks now and it is almost dry and brittle.
I figure any oil that is left will float to the top and I can remove during racking. I could always use a tertiary if necessary.

I think the concern with the oil is that it could go rancid on you and spoil the batch.

I'll wait for someone else to chime in here, but I'm pretty sure there is a thread on this forum (several months old) regarding adding nuts to beer.

-walker

I have read about concerns with chocolate (cocoa solids), but according to my research if you boil it long enough you will isomerize the oils just like hop resins. I think if you use smooth peanut butter and boil it long enough (no idea how long that is) the oils won't be an issue. Still seems a bit of a weird idea to me, though. I'm not sure how boiling peanut butter that long would affect the flavor.

yeah.. I'd like to recant my statement about the oil going rancid. I've searched this forum and found a LOT of threads about nuts.

(Search for peanut, almond, pecan, etc.... you'll find the threads about it.)

Nobody mentioned anything about rancid oil. There was some talk of head retention problems, but I apparently don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to adding nuts to a beer.

:)

-walker

I think head retention would be a major problem if you don't get the oils isomerized in the wort, i.e., added the peanut butter too late in the boil or after the boil. I was really concerned about a chocolate stout I did with real chocolate in the boil, but the head is actually pretty good on that beer.

OTOH, I don't have any idea about the relative amounts of oil we're talking about here...3.5oz dark chocolate vs. 6oz peanut butter...?

Baron von BeeGee said:
I think head retention would be a major problem if you don't get the oils isomerized in the wort, i.e., added the peanut butter too late in the boil or after the boil. I was really concerned about a chocolate stout I did with real chocolate in the boil, but the head is actually pretty good on that beer.

OTOH, I don't have any idea about the relative amounts of oil we're talking about here...3.5oz dark chocolate vs. 6oz peanut butter...?

You got it. Any oil substance in the beer, will KILL head retention. Nasty too.

Yes - Oil Kills The Head - I Made The Coffee-toffee Stout But Could Not Find Toffee Flavoured Coffee To Add As Per The Recipe
I Made Some Toffee(butter And Sugar Boiled To 300 Degrees F.) And Added It
Stout Tastes Good But No Head At All.
And Just An Observation - On Bottling I Could Smell A Really Nice Coffee Aroma But After Bottle Conditioning I Don't Taste Or Smell It Anymore. Anyone Else Notice This?

it's best to just bite the bullet and go insane before you even start. procrastinating on that won't get you anywhere. ;)

-walker

To each his own. Generally, almost every "crazy" beer additive I see people post here about sounds at least reasonably good to me. And I like peanut butter.

But peanut butter beer? Did you taste a peanut butter porter at some point? I'm tryingin to imagine where the idea would even come from.

Kindof like the first person to eat an egg. Must've been *really* hungry.

...or drink milk.... how did that conversation go?

"Hey Pablo, You see that cow over there? I'm going to grab its tit, stroke it, and drink whatever comes out."

and now it builds healthy bones... go figure...

My chocolate porter turned out pretty well. I added a whole pound of dark chocolate to the boil. I was very careful when I siphoned to the primary, the secondary, the bottling bucket, and into the bottles, not to siphon the top layer of the beer. The oils form a oil slick on the surface and if you avoid siphoning that layer, you can get your beer pretty oil free. When I crack open a chocolate porter, I usually get 1/4 to 1/2 inch creamy head. I did use a pound of malted wheat in the recipie in an effort to help the head retention.

I don't know about peanut butter though. You could give it a try. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that flavor combination just yet...

How about rendering you PB before adding to the wort/secondary? Add water to the PB, boil till all dissolves(just a couple minutes?) , , cool. skim peanut oil off the top. Add remainder to fermenter?. Try it first, to see if there is any flavor left in the...tea? sauce? goop?

Cal it Goob-brew? after drinking, you would need to Goober Pea?

Imperial Walker said:
it's best to just bite the bullet and go insane before you even start. procrastinating on that won't get you anywhere. ;)

-walker

Now that I have stopped laughing, giggling, then snickering, I couldn't agree more. But isn't that brewing in general?

:p Ize

PS: As a Peanut Butter junkie I am truly interested in how this turns out....

I can't believe out of this whole thread no one posted this:

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME

rod said:
Yes - Oil Kills The Head - I Made The Coffee-toffee Stout But Could Not Find Toffee Flavoured Coffee To Add As Per The Recipe
I Made Some Toffee(butter And Sugar Boiled To 300 Degrees F.) And Added It
Stout Tastes Good But No Head At All.
And Just An Observation - On Bottling I Could Smell A Really Nice Coffee Aroma But After Bottle Conditioning I Don't Taste Or Smell It Anymore. Anyone Else Notice This?

sTARTING eVERY wORD wITH a cAPITAL iS sILLY aND mAKES yOUR pOST hARD tO rEAD...

Latest posts

Back