Carbonated fermenting brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewlandsBrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

After a quick search reveled no answers pls feel free to bin this if there are existing threads on this beginner topic.

I've just finished making my second all grain beer. The first was an APA that came out great (IMHO). The latest brew is a light honey ale. I aimed for a about 25 IBU bitterness and dry hopped with Armerello hops and added honey to the fermenter just before I pitched the yeast. I stired in a jar of honey.

The fermenting beer is now 1 week old and sitting at about 1015. What's confusing me is the carbonation. It looks great, smells great but why is it fizzy. As fizzy as a light sparkling wine. I don't recall my first beer tasting fizzy when I tasted it during the fermentation.

Thanks.

Give it time to finish fermentation.
I generally never touch my brew until 2 weeks after pitching.

What you do not see and taste, you do not worry about.

Thanks for the advice. I read a thread here that said it's important to taste your brew from start to finish. To understand what's happening to it etc. Just wanted to check it's not a common effect of using honey and that the beer is A OK :)

indeed, just let it do its thing. the liquid becomes super saturated with CO2 as it ferments. the result is some fizziness as that CO2 comes out of solution on your tongue, in a glass, or as it warms a couple degrees.

Back