Yeast starter together with dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afs

Reaction score
I brewed 50L lager and made 2L starter out of washed yeast. I pitched starter and also 11,5g rehydrated dry yeast, cause i have only one 2L Erlenmeyer and i wanted to add some more yeast. Also i thought, that fresh dry yeast is good for next yeast washing. Am i on the right way?

Your post leaves a little to be desired in the way of information. I am going to make some assumptions.

I'm going to assume an OG of around 1.050. Therefore, according to YeastCalc you needed over 900 billion cells.

I'm also going to assume that the yeast from the starter is the same strain as the dry yeast you also pitched (if I'm reading the post correctly).

Again, I'm going to assume you don't have a stir plate.

With all of these assumptions you pitched about 300 billion cells (200 from the 2L starter and 100 from the sachet). You pitched 1/3 of what was needed. Prepare for a SLOW fermentation.

At what temperature is it fermenting?

Thanks. OG was 1.046. Yes, yeast starter is the same strain as dry. I do have stir plate. It is fermenting at 11 deg C. Liquid yeast was harvested at 07. March 2013. Beer has fermented 2 days now. Would it be good idea to pitch some more dry yeast now?

With all of these assumptions you pitched about 300 billion cells (200 from the 2L starter and 100 from the sachet). You pitched 1/3 of what was needed. Prepare for a SLOW fermentation.

11.5g of dry yeast has around 220bn cells is my understanding.
Depending on the age of the rinsed yeast and the quantity he put in the starter then he may be nearer say 500bn.
However as you have rightly pointed out it is still way below the 850bn recommended.

el_caro said:
11.5g of dry yeast has around 220bn cells is my understanding.
Depending on the age of the rinsed yeast and the quantity he put in the starter then he may be nearer say 500bn.
However as you have rightly pointed out it is still way below the 850bn recommended.

Yep you're right had 100B in my head from liquid packs for some reason.

But is it too late for now to pitch some more yeast in fermenter?

Original pitch was made on 13. April evening. On 15. April morning it fermented actively and for now it is slowed down a little bit. I am using W-34/70 yeast strain.

Since it was several days ago, I'd just let it ride and see what happens. If it eventually stalls for whatever reason, then consider pitching more. Use your hydrometer to tell you if it's still chugging along, not airlock/blow-off activity.

You did under-pitch, so there could be some mild off-flavors, but it will most likely still finish (even if slowler than ideal) and you will still have beer. Either way, this is a great learning experience in regards to watching pitch count. :)

Gravity has dropped from 1046 to 1028 with 5 days after pitching.

After 3 days it has dropped another 6 gravity units (to 1022). I plan to do a diacetyl rest now at 15 deg C.

18.04.13 – 1028
21.04.13 – 1022
22.04.13 – 1020, diacetyl rest for 60 h at 14,5 deg.C
25.04.13 – 1017, i begin to lower the temp. 1 deg. C per day.
Expected FG – 1012

I hope that yeast keeps working and it reaches to 1012 within 1 week. Or is it bad idea to lower the temp. before it has reached to FG?

Did you check for diacetyl before bringing temps down? I don't have really any lager experience so I could be totally off base, but at the lager brewery I'm working at we usually keep it in d-rest for several days while checking daily for any detectable diacetyl. After it passes, then we start to crash it.

Some people say that you should rise only few degrees for D-rest. I rised the temperature again, cause with 3 days it dropped only 1 gravity unit. I don't want to underpitch anymore in the future!

Back