was my yeast ever active?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castleman31

Reaction score
Not gonna draw this out.. this was my first time brewing beer so i watched alot of youtube and bought a kit (american pale ale) by brewmasters. I have made wine before and with this beer I havnt seen much bubbles in the airlock as opposed to wine. I have read threads that say you have to take a hydro reading but i had concerns on risking infection. My beer was made on 11/24/12 if that helps. Any advice from experienced brewers out there would be great!

You do have to take reading on hydrometer to know for sure.....airlock activity is not always a good indicator of fermentation activity....

What was the yeast used, what was the pitching temp, and what is the temp of fermentation?

It has only been a week....way to early to check...I normally let my beers go for 3 weeks in primary fermentation....

I would wait at least another week before checking SG

The directions in those kits will have you rushing your beer....be patient.....on another note...once you bottle give it 3 weeks to carbonate and condition....at 70F temp minimum.

PS....keep us updated on your progress

As you've doubtless read elsewhere, there may not be bubbles in the airlock even with active fermentation. Depending on your equipment, the CO2 may leak out some path other than the airlock.

As long as you sanitize your tools and take ordinary care, taking a sample and measuring the specific gravity doesn't create a particular infection risk. That is the most effective way to tell whether fermentation has completed.

There are also visual signs that are less reliable including the presence of foam on top (and the residual ring around the fermenter), a bed of yeast on the bottom of the fermenter, etc.

Thanks for the advice. It was a dry yeast that came with the kit that was used. The temp of the wort was 68 when i pitched the yeast,the temp for fermentation is uncontrolled as it is simply in my garage. The outside airtemp ranges daily 42-70 between day/night. I brought this to the brew store clerks attention and he said it wouldnt be a problem cause he does it all the time. Not sure if this helps?

When the temps go below 60-62,for many yeasts,this can cause them to slow way down or stall. US-05 is an exception,it can take 57F. Plus temp swings can have the same effect. It needs a more temp stable environment.

What is the actual beer temperature? Do you have a fermometer on your fermenter bucket?? (The flat sticky back thermometer that you stick to bucket)?

No i do not have one of those..is that a necessity? I could get one.. im assuming its around 55-60

Should I relocate the beer indoors somewhere?

Again thank you guys for all the advice

You can even go to the local pet store & get a stick on aquarium thermometer. Same thing for a couple bucks. And puting it inside in a more temp stable environment would be better if it stays within the yeasts' optimal range.

Ok ill do that...i guess i just have to wait it out to see if it will turn out... ill keep u guys posted and im sure ill have alot more questions. Thanks

Back