Ferm temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No- depending on yeast strain, it could be a bit warm, though.

Fermentation temperatures are decided by the yeast strain. For a cream ale, there are several choices, from 57 degrees to 70 degrees but that is not ambient, it's beer temperature. Sometimes a fermenting beer is several degrees higher than ambient, and a warmer fermentation can be 8-10 degrees higher than ambient!

Yooper said:
No- depending on yeast strain, it could be a bit warm, though.

Fermentation temperatures are decided by the yeast strain. For a cream ale, there are several choices, from 57 degrees to 70 degrees but that is not ambient, it's beer temperature. Sometimes a fermenting beer is several degrees higher than ambient, and a warmer fermentation can be 8-10 degrees higher than ambient!

I pitched notty ale yeast (danitsar)

I pitched notty ale yeast (danitsar)

At 64 (ambient), you're approaching the temperature where it might get a bit too warm if fermentation gets vigorous. Do your best to keep an eye on the temperature (a stick-on thermometer is great) and keep it under 68 degrees for sure. Lower is better with that strain- I'd try to keep it closer to 60 degrees if you could.

Yooper said:
At 64 (ambient), you're approaching the temperature where it might get a bit too warm if fermentation gets vigorous. Do your best to keep an eye on the temperature (a stick-on thermometer is great) and keep it under 68 degrees for sure. Lower is better with that strain- I'd try to keep it closer to 60 degrees if you could.

I can't get it any cooler, it's sitting next to the furnace with the ac running.

Yooper said:

What does a vigorous ferm do to the flavors?

What does a vigorous germ do to the flavors?

It doesn't really affect the flavor, unless it gets too warm. That's often what happens- a vigorous fermentation will cause the temperature to rise, which will cause the yeast to go crazy and get more vigorous and get even warmer. That's the only issue.

If the temp never gets above 66-68 degrees, though it will be fine. It will be "cleaner" and "crisper", almost lager like at 57-60 degrees. That would be my preference for that yeast strain in a cream ale. At 62-64 degrees, it'll still be pretty clean. At 66-68 degrees, it can start to get a bit fruity. At 70 degrees, it will get pretty fruity. At 72+ degrees, nottingham yeast gets positively foul tasting. That's the only disadvantage to that yeast- when it gets too warm it has a nasty foul flavor. Up to 70 degrees, though, it will be fine.

I can't get it any cooler, it's sitting next to the furnace with the ac running.

:confused: move it???

And try one of these. 64 ambient is a bit warm for Notty, that strain works best at cooler temps (58-62). At 64 ambient it's probably getting close to (or over) 70 in the fermenter..... not good for that yeast, YARK!! Look into some way to maintain and control temps, the link I posted is probably the easiest and cheapest, but there are other methods too.

Back