New equiptment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardisode

Reaction score
I am prepared to embark on on a journey in wild/sour beers. I have heard in a few places to get a new fermentation vessel and a new spihon, but I was wondering if i need to get a new bottling bucket. If im sanitzing my equiptment every time is this really necessary? Ive been really good about my sanatizing routine and havent had any bacterial infections (Yet) :. Is new quiptment really necessary?

I would have dedicated equipment for anything plastic that touches the sour beer. Some people share stainless and glass with really good cleaning/sanitation, but I wouldn't count on getting plastic clean enough. I personally have everything separate regardless of material. Better safe than sorry I say.

yeah I went out and bought a new better bottle for sours exclusivley. Gonna get a new siphon, I think ill keep using my bottling bucket as it is glass. Thanks for the replys.

I did a sour once, and didn't use seperate anything. I've not had any problems from that. But that is perhaps just my luck and ok sanitation - I'm not reall the best there, I rarely disasemble my spikets, and I use bottling buckets for both primary and bottling as I hate syphoning.

As long as you sanitize thoroughly and correctly, you don't need seperate equipment (except maybe your autosyphon). If your plastic is scratched it's going to have places to harbour wild/sour bugs. Take care of your plastic, replace any plastic that is scratched (All autosyphons eventually become scratched) or save your scratched plastic for sours, still, don't expect to be safe from "wild" bugs, not all sours are wild, not all wilds are sour.

In an all-brett fermentation, with no bacteria, how much of a concern is having lots of headspace in the primary fermenter?

I brew 2.5 gallon batches and I have recently started to use the 3 gallon size Better Bottle. I still have some larger 5 gallon ones that I'm not using as much anymore, but am wondering if the large amount of headspace would do anything to the beer.

Thanks!

I have two 5gal fermentors with 3gal each. It's not an issue at all. I don't have huge white snotty looking pellicles because my fermentors are full of CO2. I honestly don't know how the guys in the pellicle thread get them as thick and white. Last year my old ale had nothing but large bubbles. My lambic culture saison is sitting with just clear large bubbles. Nothing veiny and white. I think it has to be an oxygen thing and mine are not getting the oxygen causing them to get thick and white.

I'm planning to start experimenting with alternative cultures this spring. I understand I'll need separate bottling equipment, tubing, etc. I'm lucky to have three glass fermenters, so I'm all set in that department.

Here's my question: I want to make a Berliner Weisse first, and after that try 100% Brett brewing--is it recommended that I maintain ONE set of separate equipment for use in ANY and ALL funky / sour beers, or should I have three bottling buckets (etc.) for sach., lacto, and Brett/other bugs? If I don't, after a while will I end up with a mishmash of Brett/Lacto/whatever bugs in my brews?

I'd hate to think that it would be impossible for me to brew a clean Berliner Weisse after brewing a Brett beer with the same plastic. On the other hand, there has to be a limit to the new equipment I acquire, and if it's not necessary, I won't duplicate.

Any and all input from funk/sour people is appreciated.

Back