are the chemicals after H2S or rhino farts smells dangarous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfarah

Reaction score
started fermentation last Nov. , racked first time after three weeks, everything was ok. after two month rhino fart/rotten eggs smell started, I airated with CO2, but the smell remained. it took about 5 months for the smell to almost disappear (There is still a very very week rotten eggs smell ), now after one year I taste the cider; its taste is acceptable but a little bit salty.

I understood that the rhino farts/rotten eggs smell is part of a chemical process where at the end the alcohol reacts with H2S based chemicals....

Does my cider have dangerous chemicals in it? should I throw it? I simply have a big batch.

Many thanks,
mfarah

This year was the first time I had unpasteurized cider and used Campden tablets. Based on the pH of the raw cider, I used 2 tablets per gallon. one cider I fermented dry, the other I cold-crashed for a sweet cider. I bottled both.

Should I have waited for the sulfur smell/taste to dissipate before bottling? If so, should I open the bottles, dump them into clean, sanitized buckets, and give them time before re-bottling?

started fermentation last Nov. , racked first time after three weeks, everything was ok. after two month rhino fart/rotten eggs smell started, I airated with CO2, but the smell remained. it took about 5 months for the smell to almost disappear (There is still a very very week rotten eggs smell ), now after one year I taste the cider; its taste is acceptable but a little bit salty.

I understood that the rhino farts/rotten eggs smell is part of a chemical process where at the end the alcohol reacts with H2S based chemicals....

Does my cider have dangerous chemicals in it? should I throw it? I simply have a big batch.

Many thanks,
mfarah

The sensory threshold for H2S is very low, in the parts per billion, so even though you can smell it there is hardly any of it there. If there was enough to cause you harm you wouldn't be able to drink it.

The sensory threshold for H2S is very low, in the parts per billion, so even though you can smell it there is hardly any of it there. If there was enough to cause you harm you wouldn't be able to drink it.

what do you mean by you wouldn't be able to drink it? also where is the salty taste comming from?

In general is there a chance for cider fermentation to become toxic?

thanks
mfarah

what do you mean by you wouldn't be able to drink it? also where is the salty taste comming from?

In general is there a chance for cider fermentation to become toxic?

thanks
mfarah

I was talking hypothetically, you wouldn't be able to drink it because it would taste so horrible. The salty taste is probably because the H2S reacts and forms other chemicals, if it is only salty you are lucky it could have been much worse.

Back