Testing an Idea.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkylerChaBro

Reaction score
Alright, just testing a concept to make sure I'm not missing any issues down the line.

My idea is to use a cooler in my BIAB setup to keep the mash temp stable in the fall/winter. All I plan to do is hold the grain in a nylon bag while in the cooler. After the mash, remove the grain bag and drain the wort to the kettle. After that, place the bag of grain back into the cooler, batch sparge, and drain the remaining wort into the kettle.

This is just a concept to hold me over until I take a bit of extra time to convert the cooler properly. Does anyone see an issue with this? Also I'm looking at a 5 gallon Igloo cooler vs a much larger 48gt rectangle cooler. I figure the larger cooler will allow me to do larger batches down the line.

Perfect, thanks much Ace_Club. What are you doing up so early anyway?

BTW, what would make for a better MLT? The 5 gallon Igloo or the larger rectangular cooler.

i use my 5 gallon igloo cooler to mash in for BIAB my bag just fits over the threads of the cooler alowing me to hold the bag in place while screwing the lid on . Makes it easy to shake the wort instead of opening and stiring. i brew 5 gallon batches so 3 gallons goes in the mash and three gallons goes back in the brew kettle to rinse or SIAB (sparge in a bag) in the kettle for 10 to 15 minutes. have a large collander to help drain back all the drippings. if i let it set for 20 minutes theres not much left to squeze out of the bag.

Curious, I'm still leaning toward the larger cooler if only for future expansion.

Perfect, thanks much Ace_Club. What are you doing up so early anyway?

Was getting ready for my trip to Michigan.

BTW, what would make for a better MLT? The 5 gallon Igloo or the larger rectangular cooler.

I use a Coleman 70 qt., but then I also do 10 gallon batches. The larger cooler would be good for future expansion.

I use a Coleman 70 qt., but then I also do 10 gallon batches. The larger cooler would be good for future expansion.

That's what I figured, I'm sold. Welcome to Michigan BTW! What part of the state are you visiting?

SkylerChaBro said:
That's what I figured, I'm sold. Welcome to Michigan BTW! What part of the state are you visiting?

I "visit" the extreme SW corner of MI on a fairly regular basis for work.

A 5 gallon cooler won't last you long since it limits what you can do. Unless you want to brew average gravity batches only then you will want the larger cooler.

SkylerChaBro said:
This is just a concept to hold me over until I take a bit of extra time to convert the cooler properly.
Idk what properly is..lol.. Its whatever I had on hand when I converted mine... Had sum SS pipe fittings and I use a SS dish scrubber as my MLT filter.. I have "0" dead space when I give my cooler a little tilt as I put in my batch sparge water.. Its been a great set up for a while :mug:

A couple friends and I are getting ready to do a Christmas Porter, so in this case I think the larger cooler will be the better idea. The funny thing is, they are the same price. Thanks for the input everyone.

Back