Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't actually break it myself but it was my fault. I set the hydrometer down after taking an OG reading and forgot about it. The next day my 3 year old saw it and wanted to help me clean up, when she tried to pick it up it snapped in half, the wort had dried and glued it to the table. She almost started crying thinking it was her fault. but I assured her it was an accident.
239 + 1= 240

0 in 15 years.

256 + 0= 256

Those stupid floating thermometers on the other hand...

Last night I dropped mine on the kitchen floor, it hit right on the tip and bounced up about 4 inches, landed on its side and its fine. 0.

Broke my first one a couple weeks ago.
Only noticed it when my og kept going down every time I looked at it. Pretty soon I had water. Took it out of the test tube and it was cracked on the bottom.

Broke the tip, didn't find it until after the while brew was over.

My 2 yr old son grabbed it off the counter, pulled it out of the case, and then you know.

I have killed 7 in 3 years of brewing... Whether through clumsiness, drunkenness or just sheer stupidity, I can kill a hydrometer....

(please note title under name)

This is why I just bought a refractometer...

:mug:

+1

My wife killed the 8 year old hydrometer that came with my first brew kit, just last night. By dropping a pint glass on it.
Poor little guy. Buried him in an old cigar box out in the back yard.

+2
Sad thing is I didn't break either. Let's just say I'm the only one who touches the hydrometer now

+2

Neither happened when I was actually using my hydrometer.

The first was a couple of years ago, right after I started brewing. I was proudly showing a buddy my new toy, and dropped the hydrometer in the tube to show how I measured gravity ... but the tube was empty, so the hydrometer fell straight through air and knocked the cap out the bottom, then went straight to the tile floor.

The second was last week. Hydrometer was sitting on a nice soft towel on a shelf in my fermentation closet, but somehow I managed to knock over an empty bottle tree ... bottle tree hooked the hydrometer and rolled it right off its towel, off the shelf. Again with the tile floor.

Now I'm keeping 2 hydrometers in the house at all times.

+3

I figured I would add all of my past breaks at once. First time, I unknowingly dropped the hydrometer on the carpet and later stepped on it. Second one was on the counter where I left it, but broken. I suspect SWMBO. Third one, I just dropped on the floor.

Latest posts

Back