Source for RO water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmbeeer

Reaction score
Hello,

For those of you brewing/diluting with RO or distilled water, where do you get your water?

Home RO system? Pros = long term cost, convenience, known water source. Cons = initial expense, installation, limited water production (~2 gal/hr).

Store bought? Pros = no equipment, maintenance. Cons = plastic off flavors from bottles (?), unknown water source.

I get mine from "Water and Ice" a shop here locally, I have not noticed any plastic flavor, and for 25 cents/gallon the price is right! depending on the beer I cut it with my tap water to get reasonable mineral levels anywhere from 75% RO to 25% RO or straight tap water.

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/
Been Using 1 For 10 Year's @ Home.
4-stage R.O. System $179.00 Free S/H
50 Gallon Per Day Limit, Some Are 18 Gals, Price About Same.
RO membrane Good For 3 Years, Pre-Infeed Filters (2), 5 & 2 Micron,
Change Aprox 4 Months, Post Activated Carbon Filter, Change 6mo-1 Yr.
Filter Replacment Costs, Aprox, RO Membrane, $47.99 (Good For 3 Yr's)
Desal TFM-50 P# 1204694 GE Osmonics.
All Other's, Kit $34.99 or Can Buy Seperate (Recommend).
Reminder, Minus The RO Membrane Filter, Check/Sample RO Water w/ TDS
Meter (ppm), To Determine When You Change Out/Save $, vs Early Filter Changes.
I Use The Inline TDS LCD Dual Mode Meter, $39.99, Bought This Year's Later,
Valuable Cost Saving Tool, Had To Recalibrate Sensors w/Pure Sodium This Year, Drifted
Alittle After 3 Years.
Would Not Recommend W/ Well Water, Unless Addtl Pre Filters Used Before This System

I get it from the local grocery store; it is $.038/gal, if you bring your own containers. I also cut with my well water for AG.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Do those machines in the grocery store just have a tank of previously RO'd water in them, or are they plumbed to a water supply and have their own RO filters? And do you think the filters are changed regularly? Seems like a lot of unknowns. The price at ~$.33/gal is very good though. Don't know if I want the maintenance issues of my own RO system. I don't brew a ton.

The grocery stores filter it themselves, they have some impressive filters. You shouThe store water is more than good enough for our purposes. Even if you went to the worst water place in town it would still good enough. We don't need pure water, just reasonably soft.

grocery store, I bought one of thoes plastic jugs. I go pick it up a day or two before I am planning to brew. Dominicks, walmart, jewel all have it. It's cheap to .25-.33 cents per gallon.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Do those machines in the grocery store just have a tank of previously RO'd water in them, or are they plumbed to a water supply and have their own RO filters? And do you think the filters are changed regularly? Seems like a lot of unknowns. The price at ~$.33/gal is very good though. Don't know if I want the maintenance issues of my own RO system. I don't brew a ton.

They are filtering municipal water in the store. The two stores I buy RO water from have a log attached to the machine showing the servicing dates which are monthly at one place and weekly at the other (the latter offers DI water as well and perhaps that process requires more frequent service but I would think monthly servicing and testing is much better than I would do at home).

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll go with my supermarket RO water dispenser.

FYI, someone in my local brew club sent our local supermarket RO water to lab for analysis. Nearly came out distilled.

It depends on the nature of the feed water and the rejections of the individual ions. If you have feed water with TDS of 100 and get 98% rejection then your permeate should run TDS 2. If your feed TDS is 1000 then you should have permeat at 40. Things vary somewhat depending on the particular ion content (TDS is sort of an equivalent sodium chloride). My feed water (softened well water) usually runs TDS 165 or so and I can get permeate TDS ranging from 1 - 5. Typically it's 2 or 3.

Back