Scobamari (SCOBY Calamari)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I have a bunch of real healthy SCOBYs and was noticing they have the same texture as squid.

So, my question :

If I cut up a SCOBY and fry it like Calamari, would it be vegetarian, and would it kill me, or cause massive gastric distress?

If it is dangerous, then please talk me out of it before I cook it tonight.

you want to bread and deep-fry a big clump of bacteria & yeast?

doesnt sound appetizing to me...

maybe if you had plenty of marinara and ranch....

So I did it :

Cleaned 4 Scobys really well :

IMG_20101208_173738.jpg

Then I cut them, well tried to. Seemed that a serrated blade was the only thing that worked. Scobys are tough :

IMG_20101208_174710.jpg

Then I breaded them and deep fried them :

IMG_20101208_175402.jpg

And my final prognosis?

It was like trying to eat a giant breaded rubber band. My teeth couldn't cut through it. The taste was sour.

The only way to get this to work was to somehow soften it, pre-digest it, or cut it soo paper thin that you could chew it...

but for the most part ...

I hereby deem SCOBYs as inedible.

HAHA, this is hilarious. I pondered if you could cook it and be a source of beneficial goodness at one time. But it's just that it's sooooooo damn tough. Maybe if you can process it like hakarl it might work.

The structure of a scoby is formed in large part by the action of Acetobacter xylinum, which synthesises cellulose. Mmm, fried paper.

The structure of a scoby is formed in large part by the action of Acetobacter xylinum, which synthesises cellulose. Mmm, fried paper.

Of course, I first heard of A. xylinum in connection with an actual food eaten by people (nata de coco), so eating a scoby isn't perhaps as absurd as all that. Nata de coco is cleaned, cubed, and repeatedly washed (to remove the acid), then sweetened.

Latest posts

Back